Chapter 2

Chapter 2

My heart started pounding in my ears.  The son of the Secretary of Defense was sitting in the chair just beside me, smirking at my reaction. 

I wanted to reach over and slap him.  Even though he was loosely related to what happened to Owen – his dad was the one to have Project Infinity go into effect – I still wanted to blame him for everything.  I could feel my hands start to heat up and I had to clench my fists together before flames appeared in them.  That would not have been good. 

“That’s cool,” I said through clenched teeth.

He chuckled.  “Yeah, but that doesn’t sound like you really mean it.  That’s okay, though,” he said. 

I looked back at Principle McAdams and saw her watching me with a curious look on her face.  She was probably wondering why I was acting the way I was when I’d just met this guy. 

“So Lola, if you please, show Adrian around and tell him whatever he wants to know.  Make him feel welcome,” she said. 

I nodded as I stood up.  “Okay,” I mumbled, and headed for the door. 

I heard Adrian say a quick goodbye to her before I saw him jog up beside me.

“Well, you either want to get to class because you didn’t do your homework or you just want to try and get rid of me,” he said.  I could see him grinning down at me from the corner of my eye.  “I’d guess the latter.”

I looked up at him with innocent eyes.  “And I thought I wasn’t obvious,” I said, and then I dropped the act, turning back around so I could go to my locker. 

When I did, though, almost everyone was looking at Adrian beside me.  He was the first new guy all year so naturally everyone was staring.  Seeing as he was kind of good looking, that was probably another reason.  Shaking my head, I started down the hallway again.

But Adrian followed. 

“So since Principle McAdams said you had to tell me anything I wanted to know…why is everyone looking at you like that?” he asked. 

I snorted.  “I hardly doubt that they’re looking at me,” I said.  “Finally the attention is off of me and now it’s passed to you.  You’re the new guy after all.”

“So the attention has been on you?” he asked.

I clenched my fists around the strap of my bag.  “I don’t think that’s any of your business,” I said.

“And what was the principle talking about when she mentioned you losing someone?”

I could feel my hands heating up and a breeze swept through the hallway.  Calm down, Lola, I told myself.

The next thing I knew, Adrian was reaching over and trying to unclench my fists, laughing.  “Goodness, no need in getting mad…”

I whirled around and shot my hand out to wrap it around his throat, pushing him back up against the lockers with a loud bang.  The people around us gasped and one girl screamed.  I was glaring at Adrian, though. 

“Don’t you dare touch me,” I said through my teeth.  “You don’t want to mess with me after what I’ve been through these past few months.”

“Oh, really?” he asked.  His voice was a little higher than it had been.  He seemed like he was just trying to get me riled up even more, which was happening just like he wanted.

“Yes, really,” I said.  “For a girl who was sent to a mental hospital and diagnosed with schizophrenia and pyromania, I wouldn’t mess with me.  Yes, I used to be head cheerleader and dated the quarterback, but my life changed.  I found out who I really was and I learned that when you change, most people don’t treat you the same.  But I found true friends…and true love.  But then I lost him in that damn D.C. attack!  So don’t you try and act all cocky with me or you’ll be sorry.”