Chapter 13

Chapter 13

After the thing with Adrian - that's what I was officially calling it - I didn't take the seat beside him again.  Instead I went up to the front of the jet and sat next to the sleeping Chloe.  She was still curled under the blanket I'd wrapped around her.  But even looking at her didn't help my mind from running.

I mean, what if Owen and I couldn't be together again?  What if he was never going to be out of Alex's control?

But that night in D.C. before he 'died', he told me that I should have been happy even when he wasn't there.  No doubt that meant that he wanted me with someone who could take care of me and...love me. 

Who knew if Adrian could be that person.  He certainly looked like he meant what he said about me being different.  And that kiss...

I was officially confused.

My feelings for Adrian were confusing me the most.  I mean, I didn't really like the guy when I first met him.  He was really cocky, thinking that he was the best.  Yeah, it had only been a few days, but I still kind of grew to...like him, I guess. 

As I thought about it, it was kind of like the way me and Owen got together.  We got into fights until those fights caused other feelings to emerge.  Maybe that's what was happening with Adrian now. 

Why, oh why, did I have to go through this twice with two guys who I liked?

But the more time I spent with Adrian, no matter how much we argued, I couldn't help but find myself falling for him just a little.  I hated to admit it, but it was true.  As I realized that, I realized another thing.  What I had between Owen, whether or not he would get out of Alex's control, it was probably never going to be the same. 

I sighed, leaning my head back against the leather seat.  I guess I - kind of - made my decision. 

Slowly, I stood up and made my way back toward Adrian.  He was sitting in the seat closest to the window, looking out at the clouds below us. I think he sensed me sit down beside him, but he didn't look over. 

I sat there silently looking at him for about five minutes before he finally looked over at me.

"What?" he asked, eyeing me. 

"I've thought about what you said..."

He snorted.  "Already?  That must have not been a very hard decision since it only took you about an hour."

I shook my head.  "I'm just confused," I said.  "Because there are a lot of similarities between my relationship with Owen...and my relationship with you.  Wouldn't you be confused, too?"

Adrian turned his body more toward me.  "Yeah, it would be, but you've got to take advantage of what you have right now, right in front of you."

"And that would be you," I said.

He smiled slightly.  "Yeah," he said. 

I smirked.  "And you're not just saying that so I'd pick you, huh?"

"Maybe," he said, his smile growing.

I laughed and took his hand in mine. 

"There's just one problem," I said, looking back at him.

He sobered up and looked at me seriously, squeezing my hand.  "I know that," he said.

I nodded.  "I can't just turn my feelings off just like that.  The way I feel bout Owen...they're not going to change anytime soon," I said.  I took a deep breath.  "But then there's you."