Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I couldn’t sleep, especially since I was in my own bed.  But the main reason I couldn’t sleep was because my mind was still processing all of the information that Secretary Duke had told us. 

It wasn’t just that the entire world had found out about us, people with powers.  It was that Alex was making it public, practically shooting the video proof himself.  He was flaunting it all around for the world to see. 

And see they did. 

Everyone was freaking out.  The new channels had none stop coverage of the New York City attack and they were also showing clips that were showing off some of Alex’s new followers and their powers. 

There was one video of a guy who looked to be in his twenties.  He went up to the front of one of the smaller buildings and simply stomped his foot.

And that sent the building crumbling to the ground. 

Fifty-four people died in the collapse and forty-nine were injured.  There were still twenty-seven missing, though.

But that was only in one building. 

Estimations put the total loss of life at a little over three thousand with four thousand injured and fifteen hundred still missing.

We all knew that this wasn’t going to be the end of it, though.

After Secretary Duke left, all of us just sat in the dining room, processing everything that we’d talked with him about.  We all couldn’t stop thinking about what he said about everything coming out about us now that the nation had news about Alex. 

Sighing, I turned over on my bed and tried to get comfortable and go to sleep.  I knew that I wouldn’t be able to, though. 

So, quietly, I got up and went to my door.

I tried to open Owen’s door as softly as I could as I made my way into his room.  I didn’t care if he didn’t want me in there.  I couldn’t sleep without being there by him. 

So when I slid in beside him under his covers, I didn’t realize he wasn’t asleep until he turned over to face me.

“I didn’t think you would come in here,” he whispered.  There was a bitter edge to his voice, but I could tell he was still relieved that I was there.

“I’m sorry,” I said.  “I couldn’t go to sleep.”

We were a foot apart and I couldn’t stand it.  I had to keep my cool, though.

“Do you love him?” Owen asked suddenly.

My heart started pounding.  “What are you talking about?”

“Adrian,” he clarified, acid in his voice.  “Do you love him?”

“I…no!  Why are you asking me that?”

Owen sat up and I could see how tense he was in the moonlight streaming through his windows.  I sat up beside him, looking over.  Even though I could only see half of his face, he still looked upset.

“Because I heard you two this afternoon when you were in your room…talking,” he said.  There it was again, that acid tone. 

And I knew just what that was about. 

“You heard the kiss.”  It wasn’t a question.

Owen’s hands tightened on the covers of his bed.  “Yeah, I did,” he said, and then looked over at me with accusing eyes.  “How could you?  How could you say all that stuff about loving me and then go and kiss him?”