Chapter 10

Chapter 10

When the jet landed a couple hours later, I was happy to finally be out of the enclosed space that practically shoved Adrian and I together.  And when the doors opened, I was practically running down the stairs of the jet and toward the waiting SUV that had pulled up on the runway a little ways from it. 

I just didn't that it was raining, though.

When my feet hit the wet pavement, I felt myself falling backward.  I wrapped the air around myself, catching me before I could fall to the ground.  Even though I didn't, my breath was still knocked out of me. 

"Are you okay?" I heard Adrian ask from above me.

I was still suspended in the air three feet from the ground.  I had my eyes closed, though, so I couldn't see him smirking down at me.

"I'm fine," I said.  

I lifted myself back up into a standing position and looked at him.  He was looking at me with an expression of awe.

"What?" I snapped.

He shook his head and continued to look at me  "It's just...that was amazing.  I mean, the way you caught yourself like that...wow," he said

I rolled my eyes.  "Yeah, well, it's normal for me," I said.  "And I bet it's normal for you to have your dad pull out a gun and just randomly shoot at you, right?"

Adrian's cocky grin reappeared.  "Yeah, he gets annoyed with me sometimes," he said.

Rolling my eyes again, I started walking to the SUV without him.  I diverted the raindrops away from me so that when I got in it, I was completely dry.  But when Adrian got in, his clothes as well as his hair were soaked.  And then he started to shake his hair out, spraying me with water.

"What the hell?" I yelled. 

"What?" he asked, laughing.  "I've got to get dry somehow."

"Yeah, but not by spraying me with it!"

He looked over at me with a smirk.  "Don't be such a drama queen," he said.  "Do you have any better suggestions?"

I narrowed my eyes at him.  "I could always set your hair on fire.  That would get it dry in no time," I said. 

He looked like he was actually thinking about it.  "Sounds like it might work," he said.  "But can you not set my hair on fire.  I rather like it."

Sighing, I motioned for him to move over.  He looked a little surprised at first, but then he moved to the middle of the seat beside me. 

First, I dried his shirt, warming my hands just enough to do it.  He was going to have to deal with his pants because my hands weren't going anywhere near those. 

I didn't look at his face as I started running my hands through his hair.  It only took about a minute to dry it completely and it looked the exact same as it always did.  For some reason, my hands stayed in his hair and my eyes dropped to his.  My heart started pounding in my chest and a feeling that I didn't want to have with him spread through my body. 

Adrian lifted his hand and brushed my cheek with his fingertips, caressing my skin.  My face immediately flushed. 

Dropping my hands back into my lap, I looked at the back of the seat in front of me.

"Lola," he said quietly.  He was still in the seat beside me and he was now a little too close for comfort after that little scene. 

"What?" I said, but my shaky voice betrayed me.