Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I might have tried creating ice with my hands a few times up until lunch.  I barely paid attention in any of my classes and was pretty sure I failed my Calc test because of it. 

When I walked toward our table with Variel and Trygg, Arin and the twins were looking at me with expectant looks on their faces as I ate my food and didn't stop even when I was finished.  Apparently Owen had told them what happened earlier with Caleb and Carlos and what happened with me.

“Do it,” Maverick said immediately as I sat down at the table.

“Do what?” I asked. 

“The ice thing!” Talen said, looking excited.

I groaned and looked over at Owen.  “Why’d you have to tell them?” I asked.

He held up his hands in surrender.  “Hey, don’t look at me!” he said.  He pointed at Arin.  “She’s the one who blabbed.”

Arin narrowed her eyes at him.  “But you were the one thinking about it,” she said.

Owen rolled his eyes and sat back in his chair.  “Just go ahead and show them,” he said. 

I groaned again, stretching out my arms in front of me.  Everyone moved closer to the table, shielding off everyone else in the lunchroom from seeing.

Looking down at my hands, I could already feel the coolness spread down my arms and to my fingers.  My hands turned the same light blue that they did in the hallway and the little wisps of cool floated through the air.

“Amazing,” Trygg said, staring wide-eyed at my hands just like everyone else seemed to doing.

“Did you just find out you could do it this morning?” Arin asked.  She reached out and touched my cool skin.  “Or is this something that’s happened before?”

I shook my head, staring down at my blue-tinted hands.  “No, I just thought about cooling off my hand after Owen shocked me and...”

Variel gasped, looking over at Owen accusingly.  “You shocked her?  Why’d you do that?” she asked.

“Hey, I didn’t mean to!” he said. 

“I said I was okay,” I said, looking over at him while my hands turned back to normal.  “He didn’t mean to.  It was an accident.”

“If it wasn’t for that ass Caleb…” Owen said, narrowing his eyes. 

“I don’t care about him anymore,” I said, looking straight at him.  I care about you, I wanted to say.  And since I said it in my head…

I looked over at Arin, who was looking back with an expression on her face that made her look like she was going to say ‘aw’ at any moment. 

Don’t do it, I thought to her, narrowing my eyes. 

She bit her lips, trying not to. 

Later that day when we got home, everyone went off to their different places.  Well, everyone except for me and Owen.  We were standing in the hallway leading from the garage and watching as everyone walked away from us.  I looked up at him once they disappeared.

“Well,” I said. 

He grinned.  “So do you want to go see what all you can do?” he asked, nodding toward a door that was just a few feet away. 

“Um, okay,” I said, though it sounded more like a question. 

He grinned again and we walked toward it.  When he opened it, there was nothing but darkness.