Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Alex attacked Philadelphia.

We found out the minute Michelle, Chloe, and I got home to find Zack and everyone else watching on the news.  Thousands dead, even more missing and injured, and millions of dollars in damages.

“It’s got to stop,” Trygg said.  “And soon before any more die.”

He was right.

As everyone stayed upstairs, I went down to the training room with Zack and Michelle.  He had her go through the same tests that he put us through.  It was amazing to see everything she could do, too.  She barely got winded or even broke a sweat when she was running and her flexibility was mind-blowing. 

“Endurance and agility,” Zack said a few hours later after extensive testing.  “They’re both heightened.  I wonder just what you could do if we didn’t restrain just what you did.”

“Probably anything,” I said, smiling at her.

Michelle sighed, putting her hands on her hips.  “This is just too much to take in,” she said. 

“It’ll be okay,” I said, wrapping my arm around her waist.  “I felt the same way when it happened to me.”

She smiled slightly over at me and then looked at me curiously.  “You haven’t told me just what you can do,” she said. 

Smiling as I took a step back away from her, I lifted my hand and in my palm appeared four balls of air, water, and fire while the earth shook just a little below our feet. 

“I control the elements,” I said, looking back at her.

Michelle’s eyes were huge.  “So the earthquake on your birthday…”

I laughed.  “That was all me.”  I clenched my fist, making them disappear.  “I also have visions, which, if you remember, happened that day, too.”

“That one came true,” she said.  “You were yelling about something happening to D.C.”

I nodded.  “Exactly,” I said. 

“So is the same thing happening again?  I mean, Alex is attacking cities, right?”

“I don’t know,” I said, shrugging. 

I looked over at Zack then, who had just closed the folder that he was now going to keep for Michelle. 

“I think it’s best if we go ahead and go upstairs.  That way, we can have dinner and everyone else can show you just what they can do.”

It was almost eleven before we got everyone settled down and into their own rooms.  Michelle had gone home on an hour ago after promising that she was going to come back tomorrow.  She wanted to be over here as much as she could so she could start training herself with her power.

“I don’t want to be the weak link,” she said over dinner.  “All of you have been training with your powers for a while.  I just got mine yesterday.”

And if she was going to start training, we all were.  We didn’t know when the next attack was going to be, but we had to be prepared for anything. 

So about twenty minutes after everyone went to bed, I pushed my covers off of me and went out of my room, toward Owen’s.  But right before I put my hand on the handle, I saw someone step out of a room out of the corner of my eye.  When I looked, I could see Adrian just a little ways down the hallway, wearing flannel pajama pants and a white t-shirt.