Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I hadn't had one of these dreams in a while.  I didn't know if it was a vision or just a dream.  I was leaning more toward the latter...

Because I was back in D.C., standing on top of the capital building, looking out at all of the fires, the people running around screaming, and the explosions of lights.

I was running through the streets then and it was almost a repeat of the vision that I had the day that changed my life.

Because I was running toward Owen.

He was looking at me with so much love, even though there was chaos all around us.  It was like we were the only two there. 

When I stopped in front of him, my arms immediately wrapped around his neck and I kissed him.  Even though it wasn't a real kiss that was really happening, it still felt like it was one.  Every nerve in my body was lit up with electricity. 

Owen and I pulled apart then and he smiled down at me softly.

"Are you ready to end all of this?" he asked. 

Somewhere in the distance, screamed filled the air as an explosion sounded.

I nodded, leaning up to kiss him once more.  "Everything will be okay," I said.  "I'll get it done."

"Just be careful.  That promise you made me won't be kept if you aren't."

I smiled and brushed my thumb over his cheek as he looked at me with anxious eyes.

"I never break promises I make with you," I said.

And then I was running.

I didn't know just where I was running, but then I saw someone coming up beside me and I looked over to see Sean.  He looked over at me with a grin and nodded.  And when I looked back ahead of us, I saw just who we were running toward.

Alex.

I shot up in my bed.  Yes, my bed.  Because I couldn't sleep in Owen's room anymore.  He was back home and sleeping in his own room. 

His room where I wish I could be right now.

His room and in his arms.

His room where I suddenly hear someone yelling. 

My eyes popped open wider at the sound and I jumped up out of my bed, rushing toward the door.  I flung it open and was across the hallway at his door in a second. 

When I opened it, Owen was sitting up in his bed, fear etched on his face as he clawed at his bare chest. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, running over to his side.  I heard the door shut softly behind me.  I must have swung it back so it would close.  "Are you okay?  What's going on?"

Owen was breathing heavy was his hands continued to roam over his chest like he was trying to tell if something was there or not.  I didn't even think he realized I was there even after I spoke.  Reaching out, I took his hands in mine, pulling them away from his chest, and held them.  Those tiny tingles that happened before started up again.

"Owen," I said softly, looking at his face.  "What happened?"

His eyes continued to dart around for a few more moments before they finally locked with mine.  His whole body relaxed then and his breathing slowed. 

"A sword," he said quietly, just staring at my face.  "I had a dream that a sword was shoved into my chest.  And I think I might have...I might have...died."