Part 3

She heard the door click open downstairs, and the gentle thud of shoes being removed; only to be tucked against the cream coloured wall. The carpeted stairs groaned slightly, as did he, as he made his ascent into their shared apartment. He swung the door open - slowly, gently - and she read the weary words etched in sprawling lines across his tiresome face, stepping forwards to greet him.

She went up on her toes to wrap her arms around his neck, as he buried his face in the soft, sweet smelling hair that tumbled over her shoulder. Holding him there, he relaxed, and she spoke in his ear with honeyed tones,
"Sally, I missed you." he pulled away to look her in her beautiful blue-grey eyes, conveying instantly his pain. Her arm slid down to hold his shoulder, while her other hand lingered about his neck, playing with his hair. Holding his gaze in loving concern, she spoke again, in a flatter, more serious tone. "Sal, what's wrong?"

~

She cuddled into his warm chest, listening to his heartbeat as his words flowed, bursting their bounds in which he had tied them within his head. She lay still, nestled between his arm and side, shifting her head slightly to lay it on his shoulder, stretching her arm across his plentiful stomach, resting it there.

He stopped, and sat still for a moment. She squeezed him gently, as his hand that was around her lifted to caress her mousey brown hair and brush it from her face, his other shifting to hold hers. She looked at him, as he looked at her with those sorrowful emerald eyes.
"You need to talk to them" she said silverly in her delicate English accent. Sal had always wondered how she had never lost it after so many years of living in America with him.
"I know," he murmured, snuggling down with her. "Just not right now though, yeah?"
"Of course" she whispered quietly, pressing her forehead gently to his. Sal moved his chin forwards, and their noses met while their lips embraced in a brief yet tender kiss.
They both pulled away slightly, their mouths no longer touching, but still only an inch apart; closing their eyes and revelling in eachothers silent company.

They sat in this way for a while, before cuddling together once more, both being pulled into a peaceful and undisturbed sleep.