Part 21

They lay together on Sal and Clarabelle's bed, the covers messy and bundled around them. Nothing untoward had happened; they simply wanted to lay together in peace.

Q lay flat on his back with his head propped up by the plump and cushiony pillows, with his arm around Sal's shoulder. Sal lay curled in the fetal position, with his arms and head resting on Brian's broad chest. From where he lay, he could hear Q's steady heartbeat through his shirt, and that echoing pulse made him content as they lay - relishing each others company.

As their eyes began to droop shut, the distant and gentle patter of rain was interrupted by a shrill ring from Sal's mobile phone. Stirring, he fumbled the phone from his pocket and glanced at the caller ID.

Rolling his head towards Sal, Brian whispered "Clarabelle?"

Sal ignored this question, sitting up with a groan and answering the mobile. "Hey, Joe."

Q sighed, dropping his head back onto the pillows in relief.

"uh-huh" Sal said; nodding even though Joe couldn't see this confirmation "What, now?" he asked, seemingly slightly startled. Q sat up next to Sal, leaning on his shoulder. "Yeah, everything's sorted with us: as a matter of fact, he's here as we speak."

A long pause followed as Sal listened down the line, smiling.

"Wow, OK, I guess I better get sorted then. See ya, Joe" he finished, hanging up.

Turning to Q, he urgently spoke; "Joe and James will be here in about 10 minutes. How're we gonna play this?"

Sighing deeply, Brian shook his head. "I feel kinda bad, but I don't think we should tell them - Not just yet."

Nodding, "You're right, we should wait until we know what's happening, before we say anything" Sal agreed.

The bed creaked as Sal stood, and Q remained sitting in the centre, sheets crumpled around him.

"What're you waiting for, an invite?" asked Sal with a charming smile. "Get up and help me cover our tracks. We've gotta sort this bed out, for a start - you never know; people might start sayin things"

With a devilish grin, he left the room; leaving Q smiling to himself and wondering about what will become of him and Sal.