Part 39

Sal opened the door and spread his arms wide upon seeing his three best friends sitting on the sofa, and they in turn roared their approval. He was followed in by Jamie; who slunk in silently, and soundlessly clicked the door shut behind him; invisible in the commotion caused by the now standing friends greeting eachother as if they hadn't been united for years.

Through the clamour and indistinguishable burbles of chatter, Sal piped up to introduce his young nephew standing awkwardly around the edge of the group, knotting his hands in nerves.

"Jamie, come here bud!" he called, holding his arm out to the boy.

He sheepishly glanced to his Uncle.

"Hey buddy, no need to be shy. I'm Joey." Joe said with a warm smile, eyes glistening and radiating joy as he shook the boy's hand enthusiastically.

"Yeah, buddy, we won't bite." James smiled.

"Well, he might." Joe laughed, gesturing to Q, who was stood silently in the corner; gazing softly at Sal; who stared back with guarded hope.

"Hey mate," he said in his low, gruff voice, "I'm your Uncle's friend."

Behind everyone's averted gaze, Sal blushed ever so slightly, and Brian's smile widened just a fraction; but from that fraction poured volumes that flowed between them both.