Part 17

He pulled up to the park and remained sitting in the car. It was a brief interval in the rain that fell at an almost constant rate throughout the day, yet the sky was still heavy with swirling and dismal grey.

Undoing his seatbelt, he breathed in deeply; trying to ready himself for what was to come. Feeling sick again, he considered driving back home - forgetting this and avoiding them all as long as possible. What would he say? Things would never be the same again, but the others didn't need to know. He hoped that Q had not already told them, for surely he at least deserved to keep his dignity around the others.

Deciding that he was ready, he clicked the door open - head reeling - and stood on wobbly legs as he locked the car and started towards the park where they were supposed to meet.

"Hey bud" Joe beamed, "is everything alright? You look really pale" he said, concern creasing his face and furrowing his brow.
"I'm fine," Sal muttered in a weak voice, looking around "Is Q not here?" he asked with dread.
"Na, we haven't heard from him. Why, has something happened?"

Gulping, Sal shook his head.
"I guess we better wait for him" he said to himself in hushed and worried tones, thinking with relief on Joe's question.
At least Q hasn't told them - well, not yet, anyway he thought.

Sitting in silence as Murray spoke to him with excitement, Sal drifted off in fretful wonderment.

"Sal, are you even listening?" Murr said, shaking his shoulder abruptly.
"Huh? Oh, yeah, of course I am - dope" he responded in the curt way he reserved for James.
"well, what have I said then?" he snapped, rather irritably.
"uh, somethin' about somethin', I dunno" he replied in his broad and sprawling accent. "And to be honest Murr, I don't really care. I'm not in the mood for your shit today." he spat with a toxic look.
"Fine, OK, I see how it is then" James said, standing swiftly and storming away to speak to Joe.

Once more alone, Sal regretted slightly his handling of the situation, but gave it little thought. For after all, there is only so much regret a man can feel at any one time: and most lay with his actions of the previous night.

He looked across to Joe and James as they both pulled out their phones and glanced at the screens. Murr walked off to speak hurriedly with the crew, while Joe strode towards Sal.

While he whipped his coat from the seat next to him, Sal called "Hey Joey, what was that text you and Murr got?"
Looking at him with slight concern, he replied "What, you didn't get it?"
Sal shook his head.
"Q's not coming, he's ill or something. I don't know what's happened, but you two better sort this out. Anyway, see ya" he said as he left.

Moments after Joe disappeared from view, Sal's phone buzzed in his hand. It was a text from Brian.

We need to talk

Breathing deeply, Sal considered his reply.

When?

After what seemed like an eternity, his phone beeped again.

Now.

Confused slightly, another message flashed on the screen

Your place; I'm in the neighbourhood.