Part 22

Together they hurried their things away; tidying away many of Sal's belongings into safer, more secure areas of the house in preparation for the bumbling and guffawing storm that was the four men together in a confined space. It didn't take long, and Sal stood from straightening the rug that was slightly askew to see Q standing on the other side of the room with his back to him.

"You alright, bud?" Sal smiled, crossing the room in the silence that followed his enquiry. Q turned, holding out a framed picture of Sal and Clarabelle at a park, cuddling eachother and laughing in the dappled light that sifted through the leaves overhead. They both looked so happy, and so full of life in the gentle print that was now being held out in the large and clumsy hand of the other man.

"This fell on the floor," said Q quietly, "I don't know where it should go."

Sal took the picture, seemingly unfazed by it presence, and smiled his thanks as he placed it back on the shelf overlooking the room.

"Look, Sal," Brian began, "are you sure we're doin' the right thing here? I mean, look," he gestured to the photo, now bathed in the slight light that fell from the ashen clouds through the window and onto its spot on the shelf, "you look so happy together. She loves you, Sal, and even worse..." he paused, and barely spoke his next words, "you love her, too."

At this, Sal fell quiet, his uplifted mood now marred and weighted as he gazed at the picture. He remembered now his pure joy at being by her side, and the sweet and gentle love she held for him. He dragged his eyes over to Q, and thought on how rough and alien his supposedly tender kisses were in comparison to her angel ones that fell upon his lips in starfire when he needed them most, and how he promised of his love for her before she left. He felt sickened by himself, but as he looked at Brian; his friend of so many years; he saw in his eyes a love that was different to hers, but parallel in its depth and emotions.

Finally, he softly spoke: "No, I'm not sure. But nobody ever is, are they? I guess that's what makes us human, and right now, this is the most human I've felt in a very long time - with you."

Brian touched his shoulder comfortingly, as Sal gave a meek smile that ran as a thin and barely curved line across his face, but offered a beam of hope to Q. Sal rested his head on the other man's shoulder, and felt his warmth and care as they stood like that for a little while; before the doorbell rang and voices could be heard shouting below the window.

"Sal, get yo' ass down here and open the door - it's raining, yknow!" they heard Joe screech through Murray's shrill giggles.

"Well," he grinned, "they're here" as he headed for the stairs to let in the noisy duo huddled on the porch.