Part 40

It was late in the evening, and the only sound came from distant traffic and wailing sirens from beyond the shuttered windowpanes.
The guys had stayed at Sal's house for much longer than expected - chattering, eating, and generally making themselves feel at home - as well as easing the nerves and gaining the loving trust of their newest fan and friend: in the form of Clarabelle's young ward now sleeping soundly with his head rested against her chest, as she too found respite on the sofa.

Joe had left a few hours prior; however James and Brian remained in the family's company following the merry gathering's plentiful supper, and they had all settled to watch countless movies on the television - Murr in one armchair and Brian on the other, with Clarabelle and Sal sitting beside one another and Jamie nestled between them, cuddling into the welcoming and warm arms of his Aunt; leaving a seat next to Sal empty in Joe's glaring absence.

Clarabelle had been the first to drift into the land of those who live in this world of terror, yet do wander the plains of fairer things behind their sheeted eyes; looking peaceful in her fitless sleep.
Sal had his arm coiled around her back and his hand rested on her hip; feeling her warmth and her slow, deep breathing as she sat, holding her young nephew across her lap and their own child within herself, unbeknownst to all but herself, Sal, and Brian. She was the resting guardian of that tiny, precious life; as well as the one now cuddled against her chest. And still she slept as soundly as those fair sentinels of the heavens.
Sal rested his head gently against hers, and thought how strong and wonderful she was - content in his life with her and the now sleeping children between them.

In the dimming lights of the flickering television screen, he glanced across at Q; comfortable and yet far from slumber; looking in their direction: not at Sal, but at Clarabelle; at the gentle rise and fall of her stomach with sleep laden breath.
And he looked also through her and to Sal's love that she possessed - not with a look of malice or discontent - but rather with a weighted gaze of defeated sorrow and intense longing that made Sal's heart ache to be the artist of this despair.

Sitting up slightly, Sal glanced across the cozied room to James, who sat sprawled and snoring softly in the chair just behind him.

"psst," Sal whispered ever so gently, so as not to wake the others, "psst, Brian."

Although almost inaudible, the whispers rang out across the muffled white noise of the TV, and Q seemed suddenly shaken from his trance-like state; looking inquisitively over at Sal, and remaining silent.

"Q, c'mere" he whispered again, pointing with much exaggeration to the seat beside him, "They're all asleep."

Standing slowly and soundlessly from his seat, Q hurried across the room - back hunched slightly in a vague attempt to stop the material of his shirt from rustling greatly with straightening himself. Treading gently over Clarabelle's outstretched feet, he maneuvered himself into the space beside Sal; who turned as much as he could to face Brian without sliding his arm from around his other lover's waist and risking her disturbance.

"Look, Q, I just..." Sal trailed off, quite unsure of what to say next.

"It's OK," Brian responded gently in his low, mellow voice, "I get it. I understand, Sally. Please, just know this: I love you - I really do. As long as you know that, I'm happy, Sal...and you should be too."

Sal was quite taken aback by this, and rather unsure of what to say. He found himself smiling deeply, and holding Q's warm gaze, and then leaning in closer; so that the two were cheek to cheek, rubbing noses ever so slightly; their deepest and most hushed affection known by each even if not expressed in those moments.

"I love you too, Bri," Sal whispered, as they sat; forehead to forehead and eyes softly closed in the growing darkness, as the television screen faded to black.