Part 36

Brian woke that morning with great difficulty - for his breath was faltered by the soft and purring body of a cat stretched across his face; of which one he was unsure. Gasping slightly, and receiving a mouthful of silken fur, he brushed the cat aside: a little warmed, and rather more astonished than the feline now sitting beside his head and watching him coolly as he lay spluttering on the bed.

Smiling, he sat up and grinned as he rubbed the small head of Brooklyn kitten sitting expectantly by his side, eyes wide and alert in the bright of the morning. She leaned into his palm, purring softly and whiskers twitching ever so slightly.

Getting out of bed, she trotted about his feet accompanied by Chessie; who both sat and watched him as he wrapped his dressing robe about himself, before proceeding to the living room and stretching on the sofa. Lap already busied with the sleeping and cuddly forms of the two cats from the bedroom, Brian looked around for his third and final companion. He saw him sleeping on the sill: veiled in the thin curtains and bathed in a slight light: his black fur bristled slightly by the early morning chill. 

"Benjamin," Q cooed, as the sleeping cats ears twitched, "good morning, sleepy head." He patted the seat beside him as his green eyes cracked open - glancing nonchalantly at the large man near his place by the window.

He slunk over, rubbing by Brian's legs before jumping up soundlessly beside him and looking with mild distaste at Chessie and Brooklyn pawing at his exposed chest, himself unmoving. Q held his steely gaze for a moment, before his eyes dropped back down to the phone in his hand.

"What do you reckon, hmm?" he asked, smiling weakly. "I haven't heard from him for a while. Should I call him, or d'you think he's busy?"

Benjamin merely stared on with serious eyes, unstirring.

"You're right, as always. I'll see him soon enough, won't I? It'll all be OK," he said, kissing the top of Benjamin's head, "He'll come through for me. He'll be there - I just know it ...You'll see."