Part 34

Their car pulled up on the driveway, and the air outside the car was cool and crisp. The sky was inky black and cloudless, with the moon sailing brightly amongst the sea of pinprick stars.

As he switched off the engine, Sal looked across at his passenger beside him. From the faint yellow glow that echoed from the light on the front porch, he could see that she had finally surrendered to the sleep that had tugged at her eyelids for most of the journey. Smiling, he checked the back seat to see Jamie asleep also.

They had hit heavy traffic on their way, and gotten back much later than anticipated.

"Ice cream will have to wait then, little fella." Sal whispered, almost inaudibly; a smile playing on his lips as he soundlessly unclipped his seatbelt and opened the car door next to him.

He was surprised by the sudden chill as he stepped out of the car, leaving the door open and standing on the porch, fumbling through his keys for the one that would open their door. Finding it and unlocking the door, he pushed it silently open; clicking on the light that was just inside the doorway.

He came back out to the car, and leaned in through his still open door to reach through and unclip his Nephew's seatbelt. Sitting back round to once again leave the car, he noticed Clarabelle shivering in the front seat. He looked at her; at her rounded face and plump cheeks; at her delicate hands folded softly over her lap; and the way her long mousy hair tumbled messily over her slim shoulders. And at that moment; to him; she was beautiful.

His heart thoroughly warmed with love for her, he bent around in his seat: removing his dark blue hoodie. He shivered, as his t-shirt had ridden up around his middle, and pulled it back down over his stomach - but feeling the biting cold nonetheless. He draped the jacket carefully over her, and she seemed to smile slightly although still deep in sleep. He kissed her forehead tenderly, before stepping once more out of the car to open the back door closest to Jamie.

"I'll be back soon, Belle." he whispered, sliding his arms around Jamie's back and under his knees before pulling him out of the car and holding him against his chest. He carried him up the stairs, and laid him down on the bed prepared for him in the spare room. Sal brushed back the hair that fell across the boys face, and covered him gently with the duvet before leaving the room and going back down the stairs.

Outside again, the cold shook him slightly - as he was only in a t-shirt and shorts. He came round to the passenger side door, and opened it; still shivering from the chill of the night. He reached across her and undid her seatbelt, before sitting back on his haunches; crouched beside her. He placed his hand on her shoulder closest to him, and gently nudged her.

Her eyelids flickered slightly, but remained closed - even though she was stirring, she still slept.

"Clarabelle," he said quietly, still trying to wake her, "we're back."

She murmured, and her face turned groggily towards him, caught in a dream. With her movement, her hair fell in slight waves, and the cascades framed her face beautifully in the faint golden light.

Sal smiled at her sleeping, almost angelic form; and leant forward, kissing her lightly on the lips. He moved into it a little more, remaining ever so gentle, and pulled his arm around her.

Her eyelids blinked open, and the first thing she saw was the face of Sal - held directly before hers - eyes closed in bliss. She kissed back slightly, feeling the warmth of his breath and his kind and blushing lips against her own. He pulled away, but only so their faces were about an inch or so apart, and smiled deeply.

"Welcome to the world of the waking," he cheekily said, "I've been trying to wake you for a while now. Jamie is inside, and if you'd like to join us anytime soon?..."

"Yeah yeah, I'm coming in." she whispered, voice weighted by sleep yet lightened with the tinge of a smile.

Looking down, she saw Sal's hoodie covering her, and how he shivered so. "What did I do to deserve you?" she asked, tracing his jawline with her slender hand. "Here," she said, holding it out for him, "Thank you."

"It's OK..." he began, leading her outstretched hand back. "You can keep it for now; it's really cold."

"Sally, it's fine: honestly," she laughed, as she held the jacket against his chest; now standing, "Just take it."

"Make me!" he grinned, picking her up - bridal style. She yelped, and clung to him.

"Sal!" she laughed, still holding the hoodie, "Put me down!"

Sal's smile merely spread, and he started carrying her in through the door, locking it behind them. She slung her arms about his neck, and cuddled her face down into his collar, holding on tightly and never wanting to lose him.

"Never let me go, Sal." she whispered as they reached the top of the stairs, and made their way across the apartment.

Sal sat on the end of the bed, with Clarabelle sitting across his lap; arms still around his neck and face still hidden beneath his chin; and held her close.

"Don't worry," he whispered in her ear, "I won't, baby... I promise."