Part 29

Together they sat, cuddled; Sal's tearful face buried in the bunched and loose fabric of Q's t-shirt, feeling his heartbeat. He remembered when that was all he wanted, but now the want for more - for love and for new life - came flooding and surging between them.

Yet still he loved Q, and couldn't bear to break his heart.

Looking up at his loving companion; long, stumbled chin resting on his sternum; a single and final tear ran down his cheek. Q wiped this away with his thumb, cradling Sal's face in his large, paw-like hand.

"Sal, what's wrong?" he asked, gently. After a long silence from the man gazing into his soul with eyes puffy and red from tears, he said: "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but only as long as you promise me you're OK."

Sal sniffles, and shook his head; sitting up from Brian. "No, you need to know " he began. "Q..." his lower lip trembled slightly before he continued, "Clarabelle's coming back."

Q said nothing, but thought deeply before he replied softly, "We always knew she would, Sal. How long have we got?"

"She's back on Sunday," was his reply, and his heart began to break as Brian could barely look at him, "Q, please... I'm sorry."

"How long have you known?" he asked in a stony voice, staring with hurt at the floor. "How long have you known, Sal?"

"Last night." he whispered, "Bri, I don't know what to do."

In a coarse and flat voice, Q spoke again, "Just go back to her: I know you love her."

"But I love you" Sal said, choking back tears.

For the first time, the man with deep auburn eyes looked at his friend; and Sal felt their hearts, intertwined, snap into hollowed pieces.

"What are you going to do, Sal? Are you going to leave her, or bury what we have and keep living a lie?" he asked, maliciously.

Sal stammered, taken slightly aback. "I would leave her, I just..."

Q stood with an angered grunt, and started striding to the door.

"Q, no, please don't go. It's not what you think Brian, I love you."

Spinning on his heel to face Sal, Q's anger flashed, "Then why can't you leave her?" he spat.

"Q, hear me out, please." he begged, as the other man whirled and stormed towards the door. "Please," he pleaded, pulling his shoulder.

Q threw him off, and didn't look back even when he heard Sal cry out.

"Q!" he shouted, "stop, please!"

Hesitating at the lock, he looked over his shoulder and shot dagger-like looks at Sal who lay crumpled on the ground. "Why should I?" he hissed, flinging open the door.

"Clarabelle's pregnant!" Sal blurted out, and Q froze in the doorway.