Part 4

He awoke the next morning alone on the couch where they had fallen into blissful sleep together the night before. He squinted his eyes against the bright light that streamed in through the blinds, sitting up. He looked at the blanket traipsed nonchalantly across his body, and wondered to himself if it had been there the previous evening. Deciding that it had not, he curled up beneath it, before lifting his arms and stretching, a hearty yawn escaping his plump and rounded lips. He ran his hands through his ebony hair that sat in messy fronds atop his head, as he stood.

Walking in that slow, sleepy manner, he left the warmth of the living room, and shivered against the apparent cold of the kitchen. Sal pulled his t-shirt down from where it had risen slightly up his back, slowly becoming more alert and alive to the world.

Stepping with a soft tread, he paced the length of the short landing - passing the bedroom on his way to the bathroom. Hearing gentle murmurs from their shared bedroom, he paused. Inching the door open, he smiled at her. She had her back to him, and was singing in dullset, mellow tones, yet with such sweetness that her words became enchanting to him.

"Once in a lifetime," she mused, "The Suffering of fools. To find our way home," a long pause. "To break in these bones..." yet another pause, and her head twitched slightly to the side, as if listening; he thought that he'd been caught. He slowly opened the door, and stepped gently in. "Once in a lifetime, oh, give me a shot at the night." he stood there, waiting for her to acknowledge him, recognising the song. "Give me a moment, some kind of mysterious..." he smiled, longing to hear more, and reached out to touch her shoulder in encouragement.

He thought she knew he was there, and so was just as startled by the reaction he received. Whirling around in shock, she looked at him, eyes wide; her face mirrored in his, making a strange noise somewhere between a scream and a snort. At this noise, Sal's face fell from one of bewilderment, slowly cracking with laughter at her and her reaction to his tender touch. She laughed along also, at her embarrassment, and they fell about laughing.

Rocking back onto the leg that stood a little behind the first, she smiled a smile that ran twice round her face that was now cast to the ground, eyes squinting from her grin.
"I didn't know you were there" she laughed, and looked him in the face as he wheezed back
"Oh really? I couldn't tell"
"Oh, shut up" she giggled, playfully pushing his shoulder.
"What even was that? The Killers? Damn, Clarabelle, I thought you had taste" he smirked, pulling her in close to him; wrapping his thick arms around her waist and leaning in for a kiss. Looking down into his chest, trying to hide her broad smile, she placed her arms upon him and pushed away slightly so she could look him in the eye.
"Seriously?" she asked, sassily. "firstly, the Killers are amazing, and secondly, you of all people can't lecture me about taste", smiling once more.
"Oh yeah, and why's that?" Sal enquired, raising his eyebrow, before grabbing her once more and falling back onto the bed - toppling them both. She lay on top of him, and sat up a little more by setting her forearms upon his chest.
"Three words"
"I love you?" he cut her off
"ppft, you already know I do. Anyway, that would be in excellent taste, loving me", they laughed.
"C'mon Clarabelle, what're the words? You're killing me here" he smiled his handsome, toothy smile.
"OK" She kissed him softly, and leaned in close.
"Jaden. Smith. Tattoo."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was my longest chapter yet, and I really hope you're enjoying it so far. In case you hadn't guessed, this song is where I got my title from, and it's 'shot at the night' by the Killers (because they're awesome). Anyway, here's the link - enjoy! 😊

https://youtu.be/X4YK-DEkvcw