Chapter 5 : A Fateful Night

A/N: I'm feeling good todayso here's chapter 5!! OwO 

-------------------------

The surrounding area was dark, save the moon illuminating the night sky and a few lamp posts. The sound of sneakers causing friction on gym floors and balls being served, received, tossed, spiked and blocked echoed in the practically empty school. Other clubs had already called it a day but the volleyball club remained active, the players were either doing individual practice or devising new strategies that may be used in other matches. Ushijima, being one of the former, continued to spike ball after ball with every toss he received from the setter, hitting it with perfect accuracy and strength.

Only after the coach blew the whistle, did he and the others stopped. He let out a breath, wiping the sweat that trickled down his face with a towel. It was 7:30 pm but they still had to stay for a meeting, as was the norm. If there were no practice matches scheduled, the usual routine goes like this: they would play against themselves; afterwards was the individual practice then a short meeting at the end. Normally, he would listen, soaking in every word uttered in the meeting, but this time he was again forced to drift into his own world as his mind becomes preoccupied with thoughts of you. Using only sheer willpower to get his head back in the game, he thought he wouldn't get anymore more annoyed at you but apparently he was wrong. "Definitely a bother"

***

The sound of pen on paper echoed in the room. It was baffling how one person could produce such a sound especially since it was just you scribbling random nothings on a spare notebook. The cause of you being on the edge of your sanity was of course, none other than Ushijima. You felt yourself sink even further in your seat recalling the look Ushijima gave you, how his eyebrows furrowed, the fire and darkness you saw in his eyes as he glared at you, not to mention that killing aura and strong sense of blood lust all directed at you made your imagination run wild. His image in your mind somehow added extra features, like some horns and even a tail (and a van dyke if you're up for it). Just recalling that cruel and sad fate made your spine shudder. This morning's event proved itself to be enough to scare you from hitting inanimate objects without their consent, if they could give it to you, but if they did, you would run to hell and back. But that in itself wasn't the sole reason for your restlessness and fidgety state, the previous student council meeting was what left you in the brink of despair.

~~~~~ Flashback ~~~~~

"Okay! That conclu–"

"Not yet!" the vice president, Benzai said, slight irritation present in his voice as he cut off Akiyama. The latter looked at him surprised, his head tilting to the side in confusion, to which the vice pres could only reply with a sigh. "The three clubs. Inter High" Benzai pointed out and upon hearing those five words you noticed how Akiyama's ears seemed to perk up, excitement plastered on his face. He immediately scrambled from his seat to get his bag, the other members of the student council and you merely watched your energetic president as he clumsily pulled a small box, eagerly placing it down on the table, his hands doing a pose as he presented the box. His enthusiasm met with dry stares and awkward silence.

The vice president cleared his throat gathering everyone's attention "Inter School competitions is a month away so things are going to be a lot more hectic not only for them but for us too" Benzai said whereas your always cheery president remained in his weird pose, his eyes wandering from each person in the room trying to see if at least one person was interested enough to ask him what the box was for. Usually, you were that person, if you couldn't look away from your class advisor what more this lump of energy sitting in the very front but currently your mind was too occupied for you to notice the pleading stares the president was giving you.