Chapter 13 : The Volley of the Balls: The Fellows of the Ace

A/N: Cool title right? LOL Ijust wanted the title to be punny for once... I'm sorry

-------------------------  

"I'm not interested" Ushijima mutters monotonously as he looks down at the female bowing before him, her arms outstretched towards him as her trembling fingers struggled to hold onto the lavender coloured envelope. From the distance they shared he could hear her trying to hold back a sob, her trembling grip crumpling the poor envelope as she tightly held onto it. Ushijima heaved out a sigh before he bowed at her respectively since she was still 2 years older than him "if that is all then I'll be taking my leave."

He felt a strong tug on his bag strap making him stop walking, he glanced at her over his shoulder, ready to repeat the words he had said earlier when she suddenly yelled at the top of her lungs "am I not good enough?! I know that there are areas on which I lack but... but..." she hiccupped as her tears began to fall. "Our team... already lost in the Inter High. I'll be retiring and by then, I'll lose the only excuse I have of seeing you!" she says through her tears as she looks at the 1st year ace directly in the eye "that's why this was the only choice I have but... I don't want to lose you too!" she desperately yells as she holds the envelope close to her chest.

"Would that be all?" Ushijima deadpanned as he looks at her with ice-cold eyes, his expression unfaltering as the usual stoic expression remains plastered on his face. She looks at him with wide eyes and tightly held onto his arm "at least read the letter, please... it was on my mind the whole Inter High, all my feelings and thoughts are written in it... just please read it" Ushijima scoffed at her words catching the crying female's attention. She looked up and felt every fiber of her being tremble in fear at the scowl on the tall ace's face. "You were thinking about this the whole time?" he questions as he points at the envelope on her hands.

"The chances of the girls' volleyball team losing at the Inter High would have been lessened if you had concentrated all that wasted time thinking about such a mundane thing into improving your skills in volleyball," he says impassively.

He watched her indifferently as her eyes gradually widened with shock, then with rage. Ushijima was quick to react as he grabbed her arm, stopping her hand from making contact with his cheek with a few inches to spare. "WHAT WAS THAT FOR?! I'm confessing to you and here you are acting all high and mighty!! Who do YOU think you are?!" she growls as she struggles to remove her arm from his grasp. "I'm sorry" he flatly says, as she roughly pulled her arm away from Ushijima's grasp. "You're horrible..." she hissed through gritted teeth as she glared at him. She clicked her tongue and dropped the now totally crumpled envelope on the ground before stomping away from the tall ace. Ushijima blankly stared at her retreating form before looking down at the crumpled envelope that was now ridden with dirt.

"You could've just read it, you know?" Ushijima peered over his shoulder and saw his teammates approach him "Reon. Yamagata." The shorter, spiky-haired male let out a sigh as he stood right next to the olive-haired teen "seriously, I don't know how you deal with all this," he muttered while Reon crouched down to reach for the envelope "you know it wouldn't take much of an effort to read it now would it?" he says with a small smile while dusting off the dirt from the envelope. Ushijima scoffed as he began to walk away "it will, however, be a waste of time since my mind will not change from reading that letter," he bluntly says making the Benkei-like male sigh and their tall libero hum in understanding. "That is also true..." Reon mumbles as he throws the unopened letter in a nearby trash can to prevent anyone from opening the poor girl's heartfelt letter.

***

The three of them walked the long halls of Shiratorizawa, exchanging a few words from time to time as they discussed the plans for practice tomorrow since practice was cancelled for the day. "But it's unusually quiet though. So where's Tendou? Isn't he usually with you?" Yamagata says as he glances over at the olive-haired male, Ushijima simply shrugged in response as he kept his eyes forward "I think I know where Tendou is" Reon hollers over to the two males, stopping them before they could enter the next building. Ushijima and Yamagata both looked at where Reon stood; he gave them a weak chuckle and pointed towards his left. Ushijima moved his gaze from Reon to where he was pointing to, the sight before him suddenly filling him with an unusual feeling of exhilaration.