Chapter 16 : Side Effects

A/N: I'M STILL HERE!! 

TRIGGER WARNING!!

- A lot of strong abusive language (although censored) and obvious mentions of bullying and hate

You've been warned... 

-------------------------   

~ Shiratorizawa team

The whistle echoed throughout the gym, the Shiratorizawa players finding the sound deafening. In less than half an hour, with a score of 25 to 11, the Shiratorizawa team—for the first time—experienced utter annihilation in the first set. "Damn..." Gin uttered under his breath, the captain's eyes catching sight of their eerily quiet coach. It was at that moment the whole team had deduced that they were definitely paying for this in the future, probably with a hundred laps around the field.

"U-Ushijima-senpai!" you called as you hurry over to the bench area. Without so much of a warning, you raised up and checked his arms. You could feel your stomach churn at how inflamed and contused his arms had become. "That damned server..." Semi grimaced, his eyes on fire as he glares at the white-haired male across the court. "Despite his looks, he actually packs quite a lot. His serves are almost twice, maybe thrice, as strong as Ushijima's" the blonde notes.

Gently you placed a pack of ice on Ushijima's contused arms, his eyes wincing very slightly at the pain. "Is it bad?" Coach Akira asks as he crouches right next to you, observing how much damage had been done on their ace. "A little more a-and he might not even be able to play any more sets today..." you said causing the other members to shudder and automatically grab hold of their own arms. The thought of having to bear such pain is making them tremble. "Scary..." Tendou shudders.

"So that means, I can still play." Ushijima deadpans with resolute eyes as he looks at the coach and then you. You looked at him in disbelief, your voice catching in your throat and worry starts to consume you. Your eyes travelled down to his forearm, it was beaten black and blue and half of it was already inflamed. Having seen this type of injury from your grandmother's patients you knew it was no joke and was indeed painful. "Why?" you mutter nervously. "I-It might get worse if you p-play! D-Doesn't it hur-""No" he says rather convincingly, albeit a bit too forceful.

Removing your hand and the ice pack from his arm, he began to check for any signs of discomfort and you could only look up at him in wonder. His face showing absolutely no signs of pain as he repeatedly taps his forearms, gripping it from time to time before finally clenching his hands into fists. "Compared to losing without playing, this much pain is nothing" he declares, "in the first place, it's only natural for players to get a few bruises during practice. This is simply just one of those times" he finishes with absolute confidence. "I can continue" he declares.

"I expected as much" Reon chuckled before handing the tall ace his sports bottle.

"That's our ace for ya!" Tendou grins. Slowly, the redhead moved his gaze from Ushijima to your smaller form, grinning mischievously at the sight of your reddened ears and sparkling eyes. "(f/n)-chan's so obvious~" the red-head chuckles to himself before moving behind you, crouching just enough until he was close enough to whisper in your ear. "Kyaa! So cool~ Ushijima-senpai, I looooooveee you!" he purrs in a girly voice into your ear, his tongue emphasizing the love part of his sentence.