Papa [Surprise]

Dear Papa,

Hello, my name is Kaitlynn and I have no clue what to write. A long time ago Dad told me to write to you when I wanted to talk. Back then I thought it was stupid, but now that I am older I regret not writing to you.

Anyways I have grown a lot since you've seen me last. As of right now I am 84 and lying in the hospital. My life up to this point has been amazing, and I couldn't of done it without you.

I would like to take a second and address what you did for me. Not only did you raise me right and taught me life lessons that I couldn't learn from anyone else, but you also loved me and cared for me unlike anyone else. I can still remember your warm hugs and gentle voice. I can remember the smell of the spaghetti you cooked or the scent of your clone.

I remember the days where it was just you and me against the world. I loved the days at the park feeding swans just as much as the days where we sat inside and played video games. There is just so much to remember, and I have so little room to express the fondness of each day spent with you.

Now I've gotta say your death was a shock. I remember 13 year old me sitting at her school desk and suddenly getting called to the Principal's office where I was greeted with news of your car accident. Then Dad picked me up and we drove to the hospital.

Oh, how beaten and broken you looked Papa. Your once tan skin, a sickly pale. Your eyes were shut and I could see from outside the window that you were breathing hard. Now don't get me started with your clothes... They were tore to shreds.

The worst part I think was the kids a school. Everyone, friends included gave me smiles of pity for the rest of my life. It was hard growing up so fast at my age. Other kids would play barbie while I read the news paper. I was so cold to everyone after you died, until I met Brian.

I think you would've loved Brian. He was smart, funny, and very cool. He would probably be a girl's dream guy, but he had a bunch of tattoos and always wore leather. He even drove a motorcycle. Dad hated him when they first met but you know Dad. He was almost like a son to him and after a year me and Brian got married. Brian was the one that got the old me back and I thank him so much for that.

Not soon after we had Aki, my first child. She is an outdoorsy person and loves to play sports. She has my straight brown hair, but Brian's grey eyes. She would turn out to be a great big sister and the only one who could control Jake, my youngest child.  Jake has Brian's blonde curly hair but my green eyes. He is a real trouble maker and hates the outside. He rather stay inside and play video games, which Aki usually beats him in.

After I had the 2 of 'em I finally started trying to get a job since Brian got a work-from-home type job. I decided to follow in your foot steps. I became a editor for young authors. My kids loved hearing me read them stories at had yet to come out.

As they grew older and I didn't read them stories anymore I grew kinda sad. Then Brian died from cancer, he was old and frail and had a good life up to the point of his death. I think I missed him the most because he was the only company I had after the kids moved out. I don't know how Dad managed the house with me gone, but he did.

He used to say, "I gotta make sure you have a place to come back to." I stole his line and now when Aki or Jake come over with their partners, I use that line on them just like Dad did me.

So Papa, how do you think I turned out? I mean I don't have much time to improve but it be nice if you could edit this story of mine, just like you used to. I'll see you soon so don't worry about how to contact me.

With Love,

Kaitlynn

A week later 2 siblings and their families stood over a patch of graves. The first read:

Here lies Craig (Papa) and Tyler Wilde (Dad), amazing partners and even better parents.

Next to it lied another grave:

Here lies Kaitlynn and Brian Summers, lovely parents and an amazing lovers.

The 2 siblings cried over the loss of a second parent as their husband and wife comforted them. One made caressed his wife's stomach to calm her and her growing baby down.