It All Started With a Beer (Jai Courtney)

This goes with the Jai fics Parental Guidance etc. It's sort of a how they met.

-----------------------

"Honey? Really?" He snorted and shook his head laughing.

"What's wrong with honey?" She asked, her eyes narrowing at him.

Who was this guy and why was he making fun of her? She knew pretty much everybody who had shown up for the annual cookout, but this guy she had never saw before. He was pretty distinct, in his accent and looks. She would have remembered seeing him.

He had saw her a few times during the evening, but everybody always seemed to be around her or talking to her. He hadn't been that interested in talking to her, but when she had wandered over to where he was, he had to say something to break any potential awkwardness.

"Nothing, I like honey. Honey is a wonderful thing to have, but on a burger?"

"Yes, on a burger. You use honey mustard, do you not?" She challenged, her eyes practically sparkling. The more he talked, the more she liked listening to his voice.

"Not personally. I'm not a mustard fan." He shook his head and wrinkled his nose.

"Well, Mister I Don't Like Mustard, you are missing out." She smirked, setting the honey down and smashing the top bun down onto her burger.

"Jai." He held out his hand, realizing it had ketchup smudged on it, he pulled it back and quickly wiped it before offering again.

"Nice to meet you, Jai." She shook his hand, introducing herself. "So, what brings you to my part of the world?"

"Work." Jai shrugged, sliding into the wooden deck chair next to the one she had sat in.

He wasn't sure if she wanted him to sit there, but too bad, because he was going to take it anyway. Hopefully this wasn't the part where some hulking body builder came over and threatened to kick his ass. Jai wasn't as tough as he looked.

"And just what is it you do for work?" She asked, taking a bite from her hamburger. Some how she got more of it on her face than in her mouth.

"As cliche as this one is, I'm just chasing down the dream." Jai laughed. Reaching over, he handed her a napkin.

"Let me guess, struggling actor?" She asked, wiping the food away from her face.

She had saw the type before, it was hard not to. Being native to Los Angeles, she had saw many men and women coming and going. Some caught a break and others went home broke. Whatever the cards held for the dirty blond sitting confidently next to her; she hoped he got what he was chasing.

Every time she met somebody like Jai, she wished the best for them. Sadly, it didn't always turn out well. A side effect of the dream.

"I wouldn't say struggling." Jai laughed. "I've had some pretty good success, ya know."

Great! Jai wanted to rewind five seconds and say something, anything that made him sound like less of a dick. He hadn't meant to come off as cocky.

"Anything I may have seen?"

"Probably not, it's all bits and pieces for Australian tv and movies." Jai shook his head. "Plus, you don't look like the type to watch shows about half naked gladiators."

"They make shows like that? Man, I need to get cable." She was wide eyed and smirking. If this guy wanted to pretend to be a gladiator, she'd give it a watch. He didn't look like he'd last a second in that environment.

His cropped hair, steel blue eyes, and large fit frame gave him an older look, but he couldn't have been more than twenty - twenty five at best.

"At least you have a tv." Jai joked, taking a drink from his red plastic cup. The watered down, warm beer felt good against his lips.