Two Strangers (Ivar - Vikings)

*Modern Ivar*

The flight was crowded giving you little to no room to move, thankful for your window seat, you sat down with the curiosity over who would fill the two spaces next to you. Perhaps an elderly couple heading to visit grandchildren? Maybe a business man and a professional looking woman, or maybe a newly wed couple heading for a honeymoon?

What you weren't expecting was the tall, dark haired man, with the bluest eyes you'd ever saw. The flight attendant smiled sweetly as she helped the young man to his seat, only paying him half attention, it wasn't until he tried to sit down that you took stock of the elbow crutches encircling his arms. Trying not to stare, he looked embarrassed enough as it was, you diverted your attention for a split second but not before noticing how frustrated the man looked trying to maneuver his legs into the cramped space of the seats.

It felt like only a second had gone by, when the in flight routine began, watching the woman at the front of the cabin helped you not to say something unintentionally rude or stupid to the man who sat on the other side of the empty seat next to you.

Shifting uneasily, you didn't have to look to know that those crystal blue eyes were sparing you glances every few seconds. His dark hair long and hanging in his face, the man sighed heavily and closed his eyes.

Oh good! If he slept the entire flight, then you wouldn't have to worry about saying something stupid. Although, if he slept the entire flight, how would you get out if you needed to use the restroom? Or what if there was a crash? Would he be able to get up and get to safety? Why were these the types of thoughts you were having, anyway? Damn it, since when had you become such an ass towards others?

Ascending into the air, you stole a glance at the mysterious man; his frustration from earlier seemed to be gone and now replaced with a new emotion. Holding his bottom lip between his teeth, you watched him take a deep breath – holding it for a second or two before letting it go. This happened no less than three times as the plane climbed to the desired altitude.

Hands gripping the seat rest, his knuckles were turning white, and his eyes were squeezed shut. He looked terrified!

"Excuse me," You softly found your voice. Opening his eyes, he turned his face to you. "Are you okay?"

"What? You see someone like me and assume the need to pry?" He snapped at you.

"Well, no," You shook your head. What an ass! "I meant are you okay. As in you look really nervous, but never mind." You turned your attention away from him, picking up the book you'd brought for the flight.

A few seconds passed, before you heard his voice again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean...It's just...usually." He groaned, reaching out his hand. "Can we start that, again? I'm Ivar. Ivar Lothbrok."

Making your introduction, you awkwardly shake his hand. His grip stronger than you would have ever guessed and his hands roughly calloused.

"And yes, I am nervous." Ivar answered your assumptions. "I've never flown before, hell I've never even left my hometown without one of my brothers, before."

"Oh, well, lucky for you I am an expert at flying." You smile broadly, trying to ease his nerves. "Are you going somewhere on vacation?"

"Sort of," Ivar swallowed a lump of fear as the plane jerked a little. "I'm going to visit my uncle, I haven't seen him since I was a small child, but my father requested that I go, so...here I am."

"Your dad isn't going with you?" You were curious as to why anyone would put this poor man on a plane, sending him to who knows where, his first time away from home alone.