Mine - Pt 2 (Ivar, Vikings)

A child was to be born, parents unwed, causing a great stir among the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok.

The seers words swirled in your head for a long period of time now, so much that you'd grown almost paranoid of your meetings with Ivar. Keeping the words to yourself, going about your business as usual. If a child were to be born to you and Ivar, there was no telling what would happen. Although Hvitserk wasn't a mean man, there was a darkness to him and you knew that your husband to be would not accept defeat in such a manner.

You had grown fond of Ivar; you possibly loved him, but until the time was right there was the matter of you being promised to Hvitserk. Days stretched and Ivar was growing restless with you, wanting his answer. You had asked the Gods a handful of times and each time they would give you the same cautious tale.

A child was to be born.

Daybreak was approaching as you laid in Ivar's bed, his head against your chest, as he slept soundly in your arms. How the great Heathen King looked so delicate and dare you say innocent when he slept. Gently brushing your fingers through his hair, you kissed the top of his head and closed your eyes, inhaling his scent. This is what you wanted more than anything, to be here every second of every day.

"You are troubled." Ivar's voice jolt you from the thoughts.

"I didn't know you were awake." You press another kiss to the top of his head. "Did I wake you?"

"No," Ivar answered in a hushed tone. His fingers lacing with yours, he gently kissed the back of your hand, the tiny bit of hair on his lip brushed your skin. "What has you awake?"

"Another conversation with the gods." You admit, shifting to allow Ivar space to turn over. Blinking the sleep from his eyes, Ivar gazes up at you.

"And what do they tell you today? Hmm? That you should leave my fool of a brother?"

Gathering the courage, you boldly repeat the seer's words. "A child will be born, parents unwed, this birth shall create a stir among the sons of Ragnar."

Ivar's laugh startles you, the room is dim and his laugh seems to echo from the walls. "Are you and my brother with child? Is that why you refuse my answer?"

"No, my King." You feel small under his cold stare. "Hvitserk and I have not been intimate in some time. If I were with child, it would be with you, Ivar."

Ivar snorted, wrinkling his nose in disgust. "Me father a child? If that is to be then don't bother to get attached to it. I should do what my father couldn't," His words burned as he spoke.

Your words felt heavy and foreign like. "Hvitserk has a new thrall daily, surely one of them must be bearing his child by now."

Ivar gritted his teeth, mulling over the idea. If Hvitserk were to father a child with some common whore or one of his slaves, it would be the opening that Ivar needed. If Hvitserk had indiscretions it would be the perfect opportunity for you to claim you wanted to be rid of him.

Skimming your finger tips over his bare arms and chest, you lay behind Ivar cradling him in your arms, allowing him to take time with his thoughts. You had been very clear, when telling him that you would agree to marry him, there was to be no blood and no trail of bodies as Ivar often left.

With killing Hvitserk off of the table – admittedly a thought that had crossed Ivar's mind a few times - Ivar had to be smart about this, use his mind and his tactics to plan and process how to steal you away. You were free to choose what it was you wanted, but if Hvitserk didn't want to let you go then that could pose a problem and Ivar was not Ubbe. The King wasn't willing to enter into one of those shared marriage situations. He wanted you as his and he would not allow another man to share his most precious person.