The Arrangement

"Jayson, Katherine! What is going on?"

I woke up startled and looked around. I was still in Katherine's room and she was still asleep next to me, her arms around my torso.

"Jayson?"

I shot up in the bed and looked towards the door where Mr. Campbell stood glaring at me and Mrs. Campbell was standing behind him with a shocked expression.

Oh damn. This was not how I wanted them to find out about Kate and me. When did we fall asleep? I looked at my phone and it was 10 p.m. at night with 10 missed calls from my family.

"I...Uh...Mr. Campbell...this..." I was trying to explain but his glare kept on intensifying.

Kate stirred and woke up with a confused expression.

"Katherine, do you care to explain?" Mrs. Campbell asked

I got out of bed and took Kate's hand in mine and helped her out of the bed.

"Mr. Campbell, Kate and I were watching a movie and must have fallen asleep. I also want to apologize for not putting this through you before taking her out on a date but please believe me, my intentions are pure when it comes to your niece and I love her as she loves me. I will introduce her to my parents on Kiara's sixteenth birthday party next week."

"I trust you Jayson, so please let it be that way and don't make me regret this." Mr. Campbell

I nodded and bid all them good night and made my way back home.

I opened the main door and slid inside.

"Jay?" Mom called out from the living room.

"Yes, I am home." I said as I went to the living room

"You had dinner?" Mom asked

"Yeah, I did. I am just tired, going to bed. Love you mom" I said as I bent and kissed her cheek.

I went to my room and plopped down on my bed.

Why was I feeling restless? I took out my phone from my pocket and messaged Kate however she did not reply.

My stomach growled as I had lied to mom and had missed out on dinner but I was not in the mood to eat.

I got up and went to the gym. I started the treadmill and started running. I felt too keyed up. I couldn't pin point why.

Today was great with Kate. We loved each other and I had told her aunt and uncle. I increased the speed and kept on running till I was dead tired. I stopped the treadmill and went to the washroom to take a shower and try to sleep.

When I reached my room, there were four missed calls from Kate along with a message.

"Jayson we need to talk it is urgent....please meet me...i need you...but don't come in...message me from outside."

What was going on?

I hurriedly threw on a shirt and track pants and dashed downstairs. Within ten minutes I was parked out the house.

I called her and she answered the phone on the first ring.

"Kate...baby, what is wrong?" I could hear her crying on the other end.

I told her I was outside and hung up. I was getting so worried. I had left her an hour ago and she was perfectly fine. What happened so fast?

I waited for her and after a few minutes I saw her running towards the car, wearing a hoodie and carrying a duffel bag.

I hurriedly got out and she threw herself at me sobbing loudly.

"What is wrong love?" this was killing me.

"They want me to leave. Aunt wants me to shift to Washington and live with my uncle Jackson. I don't want to go. I cannot go that far from you."

"Why all of a sudden?"

"When you left, aunt and uncle got really mad at me...they yelled at me for fooling around with you and blamed me for coming in between what they wanted...uncle was so angry at me..."

She was shaking and I picked her up and carried her inside the car. I opened the backseat and got in and adjusted us so she was in my lap and I hugged her, rocking her back and forth to calm her down. I couldn't bear her crying and hurt.

"Shhh...I don't understand any of this babe...why all of a sudden and if they want you to go there then there must be a legit reason. I guess they need time to accept what is going on and want you to be sure. They care for you. You should go, I will be going back to college in Boston to finish of my last year, it is only a matter of a year and then I promise we will be together. We will move in." I said trying to soothe her.

"This is not the matter. They want me to leave New York because they want to send me away from you. They said I should not tell you anything and leave, breaking it off with you. I cannot do that. I love you."

"What?" Okay now nothing was making sense.

"Aunt told me that they and your parents already have talked...they said that this was for the betterment of the companies and their families."

"Where is this going? What is for the betterment of the company and the family and how are you coming in between anything?"

"They said your families have arranged long ago for you and Stella to be married"

What the hell?