Happy Birthday

"You sure have a shit ton of books." Tommy comments as he looks around my apartment.

"I love to read." I admit.

"So I guess you were one of those people who were good at school then." He says and I shake my head.

"I was good at English class." I explain.

"You're from an immigrant family and you were good at English?" Tommy asks and I nod. "Was English your first language?"

"That's kinda confusing." I admit. "I was born in Nijmegen but we moved here shortly after I was born, I'm still not sure why we moved but I guess there was a better hospital here. Anyways by the time I was learning how to speak my family was still trying to learn English so I started speaking both English and Dutch."

"Why did the hospital matter?" Tommy wonders.

"I was born four months premature and spent the first six months of my life in a glass box." I explain and he nods.

"Sounds like so much fun." He jokes.

"I still have scars from the tape." I explain and flip my arms over.

In small blotches the pigment is actually pulled from my skin. I'm left with really white scars against my normal skin colour. Tommy traces the scars with his finger before looking up at me again.

"That's insane." Tommy says simply. "The hits just keep coming with you, Van Halen."

I'm really not one hundred percent sure on why or how we're at my apartment but we're just kinda hanging out. I mean at least I'm not loosing at bowling or something stupid like that. I also doubt we'll 'randomly run into' any members of Van Halen while watching reruns of The A-Team.

I love hanging out with Tommy, he doesn't get on my nerves like Ace, Beck, and Zac. Tommy is funny and sweet and I'm not just doing this to piss off Eddie and Alex, that's just an added bonus. I mean for the first time in my life I feel like I'm with a guy that is just using me to get close to my brothers. I mean I'm not with Tommy...I mean right now I'm with Tommy but I'm not sleeping with him...I mean I wouldn't say no...God, Katie! You've gotta quit doing this to yourself.

"You work tonight?" Tommy wonders and I nod.

"Yeah, I work open to last call." I explain. "It's going to be a long ass night."

"You look tired already." He comments and I nod.

"I'm always tired." I admit with a yawn. "But I love working at the bar."

"More than you would touring?" Tommy challenges and I smile.

"Not more than that." I admit. "It'd be so much fun! A new town every night and so many people."

"I don't know, I thought you would've been shy." He admits and I shake my head.

"I'm the furthest thing from shy." I laugh. "I'm a straight up extrovert, I love being around people."

"Me too." Tommy laughs.

Tommy and I hang out until I have to go to work then we go to the bar to find his band, CC's band, and the people that are actually supposed to be there at this time, Hannah, Beck, Zac, and Ace. Tommy goes to sit with his band and I punch in.

"Hannie." I mock as I walk past her and she flips me off.

"Kathleen." She mocks and I flip her off.

"Ew, don't call me that. My mum calls me that." I mutter and she laughs.

"And my mom calls me Hannie." Hannah states and I laugh.

Hannah and I get the tables set up while Beck, Zac, and Ace pretend to work. In all honesty the guys are shooting pool, they're working so fucking hard. Hannah and I like to joke about them getting fired and have to move in back with their mothers.

"You know, I really don't want to have this conversation." I state and Hannah laughs.

"All I'm saying that if I wasn't dating CC I'd be dating your brother Eddie." She says and I roll my eyes.

"I've already had this conversation with Tommy already." I say and she looks at me. "If he was a girl he says he'd be married to Alex."

"So he'd be your sister in law?" Hannah laughs and I nod.

Just then the door busts open and my brothers' band wrecks in. They already look drunk or high or both for that matter. David sees me and yells across the bar.

"Happy birthday, Katie!!" He yells and I pull my eyebrows together.

"My birthday was in January." I remind him and he shakes his head. "You're almost six months late."

"We changed it!" Alex yells.

"I don't think you can do that." I admit.

"I was tired of sharing my birthday month." Eddie states and they walk over to me.

My older brothers hug me and kiss my head but I'm still really fucking confused. Michael hands me a card and I look at him confused.

"Do you not understand the concept?" The bassist wonders.

"I don't understand the purpose." I admit and Eddie bumps into me.

"Just open it, Katie." He smiles and I nod.

I pull open the envelope and pull out the blue card. I open the card and it's filled with sloppy hand writing. The writing reads: We get it, this is kinda late but we finally figured out the perfect birthday present for you. We're going on a summer tour and we need an opening act. So Katie, is Bye Bye Birdie in? We love you so much, little sister! ---Alex, Eddie, David, Michael.

I have to reread the card several times before it makes sense to me. I turn around to face Alex, Eddie, David, and Michael. They all look at me and grin.

"Is this for real?" I ask.

"Don't you trust us?" David asks.

"Want me to answer that?" I ask and they laugh.

"It's totally real." Alex assures me. "We cleared with our manager and mum and dad." He laughs and I smile.

"Going to tell them?" Eddie wonders and I smile.

I turn around again and literally everyone in the bar is looking at me.

"Hannah, Beck, Zac, Ace? Want to go on tour this summer?" I ask.