Pancake Breakfast

Tommy

When I wake up Katie isn't in bed beside me, I roll over and look at the clock to see it reads quarter to eight....why the hell is Katie awake this early? Katie isn't a morning person and I know that Melody isn't. I sit up and stretch before the bedroom door opens and my daughter peeks in.

The light from the hallway illuminates Melody's tiny frame. As my eyes adjust I see that she is wearing a red and white plaid skirt with a white button up that isn't tucked in yet. Melody looks to be wearing little black shoes with red bows on them. Melody is wearing her school uniform...it's her first day of kindergarten.

"Daddy." Melody whispers. "Are you going to eat breakfast with me before my first day of school?"

"Yeah, lamb, of course." I promise her as I get out of bed.

I walk over to my daughter who is still standing in the doorway. I pick her up and hug her into me, Melody giggles and wraps her arms around my neck. I kiss her cheek and she smiles at me.

"When did you get so big?" I wonder and she laughs. "Want happened to my baby girl?"

"I grew up." Melody smiles.

"Ouch, break my heart." I laugh. "You look pretty in your uniform, lamb."

"Thank you, daddy." My baby kisses my cheek as we walk downstairs.

We walk into the kitchen where Katie is making pancakes, Melody's favourite breakfast, in Mötley Crüe shirt that's a size or two too big, a pair of jeans, and her cute little pineapple socks. Her dark hair is falling in perfect barrel curls around her shoulders. I place Melody on a stool at the island and go over to my wife. I wrap my arms around her and kiss her temple.

"Hey baby." She smiles up at me and I kiss her lips.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I wonder.

"Not bad." Katie admits.

"Freaking out a bit?" I ask and she laughs.

"Just a tad." She laughs. "And you?"

"Oh definitely." I admit and look over to Melody who has helped herself to the pancakes, she is definitely my child. "Where did the time go, baby?"

"I wish I knew." Katie admits quietly and narrows her eyes. "Hungry?" My wife quickly changes the subject and holds up a plate.

"Yeah, always." I admit with a laugh and take the plate from her. "You know you spoil us?"

"I'm a mama and a wife, I think that's what I'm supposed to do." She smiles and I kiss her forehead again.

I sit down at the island beside Melody and start to load my plate up with pancakes, I dump probably more maple syrup than I needed on top and start eating. At some point I looked up again to see Katie putting the dishes in the sink and then washing her hands.

I can't believe she's pregnant, I mean she's the size of a toothpick. More than that I can't believe Katie is carrying twins and she hasn't gained a lot of weight, she's only going into her third month of pregnancy (I think, I mean she got pregnant in July) so I guess that makes sense. I'm just worried that the pregnancy is going to hurt my wife or the babies, I can't lose them.

But I think more than anything I can't believe that Katie is mine, I mean we've been together for years but every time I look at her it just hits me. I did something right to get this perfect woman in my life. This woman that is going to give me three fucking kids. I don't know what I'd do without Katie. I love her more than breathing.

Katie grabs the hair brush and stands behind Melody.

"How do you want your hair, lamb?" She wonders.

"Braids with the bows." Melody says and Katie smiles.

"Okay, let me get the ribbons and ties." My wife says and kisses our daughter's hair.

Katie walks out of the kitchen and I hear her walk up the stairs. I look over to Melody and she's still eating.

"Hey lamb?" I ask and she looks over.

"Yeah, daddy?" Melody answers.

"Did you see mama eating anything?" I wonder and she shakes her head. "Okay."

Katie has a tendency to forget eating but it's not good especially when she has two nutrient sucking beings growing inside of her. Katie has to remember to eat or this will actually hurt her.

Katie walks back into the kitchen with some little hair elastics and two pieces of red ribbon. Melody's favourite way to wear her hair is braided with bows, so basically Katie braids her hair into two braids and ties the ribbons around the end of her hair in bows. Melody looks really cute like that.

"Hey baby?" I ask as my wife as she does our daughter's hair.

"Uh huh." Katie answers without looking up and I smile.

"Did you eat?" I wonder.

"Uh no, I'll eat when we get back from the school." She answers and I shake my head.

"No." I say and load up my fork with pancakes. "Open, baby."

Katie rolls her eyes but agrees and I feed her pancakes as she does our daughter's hair. This goes on for a little while before someone else walks into the kitchen.

"You three have a nice little system, don't you?" Eddie asks with a laugh as him and Alex walk into our kitchen.

They both stop to kiss Katie on the forehead before taking seats on the other side of the island. They explain how they weren't going to miss their first niece's first day of school. Melody goes to brush her teeth before we leave for school.

Katie

"I'm going to be okay." Melody promises.

"We know, lamb." Tommy assures her. "But if you're not get the office to call us and we'll pick you up."

"Okay, daddy." She smiles.

I sit on my knees in the hallway outside her kindergarten room, Melody wraps her arms around me and kisses my nose.

"I love you, mama." Melody tells me, that might be my favourite thing to hear.

I watch as Melody repeats the process with Tommy, Eddie, and Alex. I notice that her white blouse has untucked from her skirt, I pull her closer to me and start to fix her shirt.

"You have a tail happening, little lamb." I tell her and she smiles.

"Baaaa!" Melody says and the bell rings. "I'll see you after school."

"We'll be right here." Tommy promises.

Melody hugs us all again and tells us that she loves us before proudly striding into her classroom. Tommy pulls me to my feet and wraps his arm around me.

"She's fearless." I whisper and he laughs.

"She's just like us." Tommy smiles. "You okay?"

"I think so." I admit. "You?"

"I think so." Tommy agrees.