Professional Musicians

Eddie, Alex, and I walk into a little coffee shop because caffeine is always a good thing. My mum keeps telling me that I shouldn't be drinking coffee while I'm pregnant but my child wants coffee. Anyways, we walk into the coffee shop and sit at a little booth. A little teenage waitress comes over and take our order.

It's the first week of March and I'm getting really close to my due date. The baby's room is finally set up and Tommy and I are actually ready for the baby. I mean I'm saying this before I'm in hardcore labour. I am really excited to meet our little daughter and Tommy is really excited too, we're going to be great parents.

I pull my feet up so I'm sitting cross legged and I sip my coffee.

"So we're going back to tour at the end of the month." Alex says. "We're hoping that the baby is here before we leave. Either way our tour manger is warned because as soon as we get the call, no matter where we are, we're flying back to be with you."

"You guys are sweet older brothers." I smile and Eddie hugs me with one arm. "Are you excited to go back on tour?" I ask as I pick at the muffin that they made me buy.

It's not even because I'm pregnant, my brothers have been obsessed for years now about feeding me and making sure I eat when I'm with them. Maybe it's a European thing but I don't know, they're always making me order something to eat. I mean it could just be them worrying about me because of how small I am but small doesn't always mean fragile.

"Yeah, of course. I mean we have the best fans on the planet." Eddie says.

"Don't you miss your wives when you're gone?" I wonder. "I mean I missed Tommy and we were only together a month or so."

"Yeah of course." Alex says. "But tour is great, it keeps my mind off it."

"I hate being away from Valerie but she keeps busy with work." Eddie explains. "But I don't know how Tommy's going to do it. You were too little to remember but dad toured all over Europe when we were little, I can't do that like being away from your kids for so long. No way in hell."

"Yeah, I don't remember but I remember when we were small and dad would get back from work really late and we'd be up in our rooms. Dad would sit on that old couch and he'd play the saxophone or the clarinet softly. I remember sitting at the top of the stairs and I'd just listen to him play." I explain and my brothers nod. "Some time the saxophone music plays in my head and I remember how much I love the sound. I remember watching you guys playing the piano, drums, and the guitar."

"Eddie, you'd get so focused in your room playing the guitar." Alex says. "Katie and I used to sit outside and listen to you."

"I remember watching your first band play at lunch in elementary school. Mum would drive me in to just to see you guys." I smile and they laugh.

"The first time I realized that I wanted to be a professional musician." Eddie smiles. "What about you, Katie? When did you realize that you wanted to be a professional musician?"

"Yeah, I don't know this story." Alex says and looks up from his coffee. "Tell."

"Oh shit, I don't know. Probably when I mastered Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin. I was what? Ten?" I ask and Eddie nods happily and excitedly.

"I remember that! I was so freaking proud of you and you were so happy." My guitarist older brother says. "I think you told me about a week later that you were gonna be famous."

"You're doing pretty good, being a baby mama for a rock star is always a good way to get famous." Alex laughs and I reach across the table to hit his arm making him laugh harder.

That's about the time that pain twinges in my back and stomach. I put my hands on my stomach and the baby starts to move around.

"Ooh." I say quietly and try to reposition myself.

"Katie, are you okay?" Eddie asks from beside me and worry shakes his voice.

I look between Eddie and Alex who are both worried. I don't know how to reassure them but with them looking that worried is making me worried.

"I-I don't know, my back and stomach just hurt a--oh there it is again." I say and I wince.

"Should we go to the hospital?" Eddie wonders.

"No, I'm okay." I lie and Alex shakes his head.

"No, it's better safe than sorry." My oldest brother says. "We're going to the hospital."

"I'm not due until the twenty eighth." I argue.

"Doesn't matter, we're going." Alex says as he and Eddie each take one of my arms.

Off to the hospital I go.

Tommy

"Hey T, can you do that drum piece again?" Vince asks and I nod.

I pick up my sticks and start to play the drum piece but the studio hand waves me off. I stop playing and he presses the intercom button.

"I have Alex Van Halen on the line." He says and we all look at each other.

"Uh, put him through." I say and he nods. "Hey Alex, you're on speaker."

"Uh hey, look Katie is in the early stages of labour and is currently breaking Eddie's hand." Alex says and my eyes grow.

"Katie isn't due until the twenty eighth." I say kinda confused.

"Yeah, she said the same thing but the doctor says that your daughter really wants out." He says and I nod.

"Yeah, I'll be there as soon as I can." I say and I stand up knocking over the stool and nearly falling over. "Tell Katie I'm on my way and that I love her?" I ask.

"Yeah, I will." Alex says. "I'll see you soon."

We hear the phone disconnect and Vince, Mick, and Nikki all look over at me. I feel kinda lightheaded, I mean Katie is in labour and I'm going to be a dad. I run my fingers through my hair and kinda smile.

"I guess I'm going to be a dad." I laugh then I remember what's going on. "Oh shit, I've gotta get to Katie."

"I've got keys!" Vince says and pulls them out of his pocket. "Let's go."