Don't Mess With The Baby Sister

"What if you're on tour when I go into labour?" I ask Tommy and pull a blanket over my legs.

"Baby, we're still going to be recording in March. We can't go on tour until the album is done." He reminds me and pulls me and the blanket closer to him.

It's almost Christmas and we've all been really busy. Since I'm done working at the bar and on maternity leave I've been working on getting our baby girl's room set up. Tommy has been putting in hours at the studio with Nikki, Mick, and Vince. All while this is going on we had to do Christmas shopping and all the other Christmas time shit.

For the first time in what seems like ages Tommy and I are both off and not doing baby stuff. We're sitting in the living room under blankets watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Tommy's arm is wrapped about my shoulders and his hand in on my tiny baby bump.

I started to gain a little bit of weight after six months of pregnancy. I'm still not all that big but at least I kinda look pregnant. I've never broken one hundred pounds before but at my last doctors appointment I weighted in at one hundred and one pounds, I was so ecstatic and Tommy thought that it was hilarious.

It's hard for me to believe that in about three months the baby will actually be here. On one hand I'm worried that I won't be prepared. I'm scared that the baby will come and I won't be ready to be a mom. On the other hand I can't wait to get her out of me. I can't wait to not have to piss like a fucking race horse every ten minutes. I can't wait to be able to drink again. I just can't wait for my life to be normal again.

Ha, I guess my life won't ever actually be normal again. My life isn't every going to be the same as it was six months ago. Come March I don't get a sticker saying 'good job, you survived the hard part', come March I get a baby and the hard part is yet to come. My life isn't ever going to be about me anymore, it's going to be about my baby. I'm always going to be a mother, I'll never be a stupid twenty two year old again.

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" Tommy asks and puts his chin of my shoulder. "I can hear your brain imploding on itself."

"Just how our lives won't ever be the same when the baby comes." I say. "It's not a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a force to be reckoned with."

"Are you still worried?" He wonders as he moves his hand across my stomach.

"I don't know at this point. I'm worried about being a screw up mother and I'm kinda worried about the whole birth giving thing but other than that I think I'm pretty level headed about all of it." I explain. "Are you worried?"

"No, I mean you have all the hard parts." Tommy says with a laugh and I gently hit his arm.

"Thanks." I mutter sarcastically and he kisses my cheek. "That just means you can pick up the slack with diaper changes and late night feedings." I say and he smiles.

"You know, I'm okay with that. I go on tour next summer and I won't be able to see her as much as I want to. I'll take whatever time I can have with her." He explains. "Now if I could have more time with you then I'd be set."

"We have until the summer." I remind him and he nods.

"I'll take it." Tommy smiles and kisses my cheek. "Have you thought of names for her? I mean we can't call her 'her' for the rest of her life." He asks with a laugh and I smile.

"Well I don't know. Do you want her name to be shortened like ours?" I ask.

"No matter what we name her someone will find a way to shorten it." He reminds me. "I like the name Melody."

"I love that! We could have her middle names our mum's names. So it'd be Melody Voula Eugenia or Melody Eugenia Voula. What do you think of that?" I wonder.

"Melody Voula Eugenia Lee, I think it's perfect." Tommy smiles and kisses my lips. "So we have name, we just need the baby."

"She'll be here soon." I tell him as she starts to move around. "It's a weird feeling, it feels like she's moving around my internal organs."

"With how tiny you are she probably is." He says and I nod. "The doctor says you're healthy, right?" He asks kinda worried and I smile.

"Yes, baby. Everything is fine." I promise him.

"Good." Tommy states in a way that reminds me of a stubborn kid which makes me laugh. "Did I tell you that Nikki, Vince, David, and Michael are all betting on when she's going to be born?"

"Are you serious?" I ask and he nods.

"The due date is the twenty eighth, Nikki thinks she'll be born the twentieth, Vince thinks you'll deliver really early at the tenth I think, David thinks you'll go to the thirtieth, and Michael thinks you'll deliver the eighteenth. I think they're each better fifty bucks, whoever is close wins." He explains and I roll my eyes. "They can always find something to bet on."

"Jesus Christ." I laugh. "I'm surprised Eddie and Alex aren't in on it."

"They were asked one night at the bar but they don't want to bet on you." Tommy explains. "They're really protective of you."

"They always have been, it's kinda a pain in the ass some times." I say. "At least I know they care."

"Valerie and Kelly say you're pretty protective of your brother too." My boyfriend comments and I smile.

"Then it evens out." I laugh. "I just don't what some broad to take advantage of them." I explain. "Did I ever tell you about the time I got suspended in kindergarten?"

"No." Tommy laughs. "Please do."

"So I was four, Eddie was eleven, so Alex was thirteen. The way our school was set up there was three different doors and all three of us came out a different doors. Alex was the oldest so he got out first and had to wait for Eddie and I. Eddie came out the middle door and that's where we all met up. Something was different that day and Alex was running late so it was me and Eddie. When we were kids we had a really thick accent so this asshole was bugging Eddie about it and this kid wasn't all that big. I said 'why don't you just shut your mouth', Eddie told me not to worry about it and the asshole said 'why don't you make me?'. So I shoved this kid and he fell so I started to hit him in the face. Alex and Eddie had to pull me off him." Tommy laughs and I smile. "So the principal called mum and she had to pick us up. She walked into the office and she looked at the principal, she asked what Eddie did and the principal said nothing. She said 'Okay, what did Alex do?' Again the principal said nothing. Mum looked at the principal and kinda shock her head, she said 'you know I only have one other child at this school and she's in kindergarten'. The principal explained my actions and I got suspended." I finish.

"So moral of the story don't mess with the baby sister?" He asks with a laugh and I smile.

"Yup." I beam proudly.