Pineapple Socks

"Babe, my mum wants to know if she needs to dress up." Tommy says and while talking on the phone.

"We don't, I mean my mum plays classical music while she cooks to make it seem like you're fancy rather than a white trash immigrant family." I laugh and he smiles.

"No mum, you don't have to dress up." He says in the phone. "Wait hold on. Baby, will your mother judge my mother if she doesn't dress nicely?"

"No, my mum isn't going to care. Well my mum can barley speak English." I say and he laughs.

"Same with my mum." Tommy says and starts to talk into the phone again. "Okay, I'll ask. Babe, my mum wants to know what you're wearing." He says and I look down.

I'm wearing a striped long sleeve with a pair of ripped jeans and socks with little pineapples on them, Tommy laughed for like ten minutes when he saw them.

"This." I say and he nods.

"Jeans, a shirt, and pineapple socks." Tommy laughs. "No ma, they just have little pineapples on them. I don't know, Katie has the feet of a five year old so she can fit in kid socks."

I hit his arm gently and he laughs before pulling me into him. Tommy kisses the side of my head and I hug his chest. His hand travels down to the small of my back as he listens to his mother. Tommy looks down at me.

"Your folks drink red or white wine?" He wonders and my eyes grow.

"I know nothing about wine...they drink Heineken!" I say and he laughs.

"Katie doesn't know, mum. Just get whatever." Tommy says. "Mum, I gotta go. I'll pick you, dad, and Athena up later on tonight. Yeah, I love you too." He hangs up the phone and sighs. "I thought we were going to be late for the doctors appointment."

"My mum likes to talk too." I say as I pull on my jacket.

"Our mums are going to get along other than the language barrier." Tommy laughs and grabs my hand. "Come on, we're going to be late."

We get to the doctors office just in time for the appointment and we didn't even have to wait in the waiting room, we were brought directly back to the examination room. I lay back on the table/bed thingie and Tommy sits at my head. His hand wraps around mine and he kisses my knuckles.

"Are you worried, baby?" Tommy wonders.

"I'll be okay once I hear the heartbeat, I'm scared that it's not going to be there." I admit and he squeezes my hand.

"It's going to be there." He promises me as the doctor walks in.

The doctors introduces himself and I can feel Tommy's energy shift which makes him grip my hand a bit tighter. The doctor starts the ultrasound and it's not the most comfortable thing on this planet. I mean I had to drink an ungodly amount of water for this to work and the little handheld device is grinding across my bladder. I grip Tommy's hands a little tighter and he kisses my hair.

A rhythmic squishing noise comes across the machine and the doctor smiles a little bit.

"That is your baby's heartbeat and this is your baby. You're about three months along and your baby will be here in March. Congratulations." He says sweetly and I feel tears well up in my eyes.

"Oh my god." I smile. "Baby, that our baby!"

"Holy shit." Tommy says quietly and I look back to see him smiling with years in his eyes.

He kisses my lips quickly and smiles at me.

"I love you. I love you so fucking much." Tommy tells me and I grin.