Mornings With Daddy

Tommy

I think that Katie really, really, really needs sleep. For about three months she's pretty much been a single parent, Katie has been doing all the midnight feedings, all the midnight diaper changes, all the times that Melody misses mommy or daddy at night. Katie's been doing all of that while I've been away on tour so I've elected to let Katie sleep as long as she pleases.

You honestly can't imagine how much I've missed my fiancée and my baby daughter these past three months. I love them more than I've ever loved anything and more than I'll ever love anything, my family is the most important thing to me. I missed the way that my girls breath for Christ's sake, I've missed everything about them.

I look down at Katie who is asleep in bed beside me. Her dark hair is in wild and messy curls and her beautiful hazel eyes are peacefully closed. A small smile plays on her lips like she's dreaming about something that makes her happy. Every once in a while she'll mumble something that I can't make out, Katie says I snore and my leg twitches when I sleep but my fiancée talks in her sleep. Most of the time she mumbles in Dutch so it makes sense that I can't make it out but some times I'll catch English words like Tommy, Melody, and my personal favourite, fuck you.

I sink down in bed beside Katie so that I'm laying down. I tuck her hair behind her ears and put my forehead down on her's. I let my hands slide down her body and land on her hips. I move as close to her as I can without waking her up so we share warmth. In her sleep, Katie moves closer to me and puts her head on my chest. I wrap my arms a bit tighter around her and kiss the top of her head.

"I love you, Katie." I whisper to her even though I know she's too out of it to hear me.

We lay together for the better part of an hour before Melody starts to cry. I carefully unwrap my arms from my fiancée, pull on a pair of pyjama pants, and go to calm down my baby. I walk into her room to see her standing up and holding onto the side of her crib. Like her mommy, Melody's hair sits in messy wild curls.

"Hey, little lamb." I say as I scoop her up out of her crib. "Did you poop?" I ask with a laugh but then I remember that she's nine months old and can't exactly answer me.

I change her diaper before taking her downstairs to feed her. I get Melody into her high chair and go into the cabinet to get her baby food. I know she doesn't like carrots so I try to avoid those at all costs do I grab banana mush one of the baby spoons.

"Alright, baby girl." I say as I pull up a chair across from my daughter. "You're not going to spit this all over daddy, right?"

Melody actually eats good for me, maybe she just likes this kind of mush. My daughter let's me feed her without much of a fuss and I thought that was great....then we had to get dressed. Melody put up the biggest fight when it came to getting dressed, she cried until her face was red which made me a little sad because I didn't want to see Melody upset but I also know that she needs to get dressed.

"Melody, please cooperate with me." I plead of this little girl. "Baby, please work with daddy."

My baby daughter is very stubborn and I'm not sure if she gets it from me or Katie, it could very well be both of us. Maybe she's just mad that I'm still in pyjamas but I'm making her get dressed. Melody sits down on the floor and glares up at me, I know she's nine months old and she doesn't know what it means but she crosses her little fat baby arms. I sit down across from her and sigh.

"I don't want to wake up mommy and ask for help, I should be able to do this." I mumble to myself.

I run my hand through my hair before I scoop my daughter up. She starts to make little whining noises but I continue to dress her. It's a fight but I do get her dressed in the end. We walk back downstairs and I sit on the floor with my daughter.

Melody and I play for about an hour before Katie starts to move around upstairs. I hear Katie walk downstairs and I look back at her. She's wearing only a really big navy blue long sleeve shirt that is like a dress over her tiny frame, I'm not sure at this point if it's my shirt, or Eddie's shirt, or Alex's shirt. It must've been the first thing she grabbed because when I left her she wasn't wearing anything. Her hair is still wild and messy but she's still the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

"Hey, baby." I say as she sits down beside me.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Katie wonders.

"Because you needed the sleep." I say and put my hand on her knee.

"I love you." She mumbles and puts her head on my shoulder.

"I love you too, Katie." I say and kiss her temple.

"Did our little lamb eat?" Katie asks.

"Yes, she ate banana mush." I explain and my fiancée laughs which makes me smile. "It was war to get her dressed though."

"Yeah she doesn't like putting on clothes." She admits. "She gets that from you, baby."

"Oh probably." I laugh.

Katie sits straighter up and puts her hands on my cheeks, she directs my mouth to her's and she kisses my lips gently. I start to kiss her back and I pull Katie into my lap and her legs land on either side of me. She smiles and starts to kiss me again. I missed my Katie.

"Ba! Baaaa!" Melody yells which pulls us apart.

Katie laughs and sits back on my lap, she scoops up Melody and sits her on her lap so our daughter is between us. I smile and kiss my daughter before my fiancée. I have the two most beautiful girls on this planet right here in front of me.