Baby Steps

Within a week and a half my baby girl was back to her vibrant self. Melody is back to laughing and smiling and I couldn't be more relieved. Life moved on for the next few weeks as normal, Melody kept getting bigger and stronger with that her became a little more confident with standing up and trying to take steps, she still hasn't walked yet but she's close.

It's the morning of Valentine's Day, Tommy and I decided that we weren't going to make a big deal out of Valentine's Day. We decided that we're just going to stay home and have a quiet night at home with our daughter.

Tommy and I also have decided on a wedding date, June 7th, the anniversary of our first date when we went to go see Ghostbusters at the drive in. We figured it was the perfect date and we'll be married before Tommy has to go back on tour. We mailed out invitations about two weeks ago and my Oma and Opa were the first to RSVP. Our parents fought about which church we were going to get married in but to avoid more arguing Tommy and I decided to get married outside.

Tommy walks down the stairs and comes up behind me. He puts his hands on my shoulder and kisses my cheek.

"Happy Valentine's Day, baby." He mumbles and kisses my cheek again.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Tommy." I say and look up at him.

My fiancé smiles down at me and kisses my lips gently. I smile against his mouth and kiss him back. Our kissing doesn't last too long because of the fact that our daughter starts giggling, that makes Tommy laugh and pull back from me.

"I love you." He tells me quietly before going over to Melody.

Tommy and I play on the floor with Melody for a little while before Tommy starts to walk around holding onto our baby's hands. Melody giggles which makes Tommy smile, they walk around the couch a few times before my fiancé stops about three feet in front of me.

"Okay little lamb, go to mommy." Tommy tells her.

Melody stands still for a few minutes and looks up at her father before looking across at me. Her bright smile crosses her face and she looks up at Tommy again.

"Kay, dad." She says and then it happens.

Melody takes a couple shaky steps towards me and I look up at Tommy. His eyes are weird and his mouth hangs open, he's as shocked as I am. We've been doing this for weeks now and this is the first time something is actually happening.

"Come on, baby! You can do it!" I encourage her and she giggles.

"Kay, ma." Melody tells me a takes a couple more steps.

My baby takes a few more clumsy steps before starting to stumble. Melody makes it to me before she slips and I catch her. I hug her closer to me and I kiss her hair. I can feel tears well up in my eyes because I'm so proud of her, I don't think I've ever been this proud in my life.

I look at Tommy and he's looking at our daughter, like me his eyes are watery. He glances over to me and smiles. Tommy sits down on the floor in front of me and I set Melody down on my lap so she can see both of us. My fiancé grabs our baby's foot which makes her giggle and my smile broadens.

"Melody, we're so proud of you!" He tells her and she smiles again.

"You're getting so big, little lamb." I tell her and kiss her cheek. "You know that daddy and I love you very much."

"Ruv?" Melody asks.

"Love, baby." Tommy tells her and he makes sure that he pronounces it properly. "Like daddy loves mommy."

"And like mommy loves daddy." I say and he smiles.

"And mommy and daddy both love Melody." He says.

"Mellowee." Our daughter tries to say her name which makes Tommy and I laugh.

"Yeah Melody, baby. That's you." I say and point to her. "Melody."

"Mellowee." She says and points to herself.

"Daddy." I say and point to Tommy.

"Dad." Melody copies and points at her dad which makes Tommy smile.

"Mommy." Tommy says and points at me.

"Ma." My baby smiles and touches my chin. 

Tommy

Katie walks back downstairs and into the kitchen after finally getting Melody to sleep. My soon to be wife sits down across from me at the island and I grab her hand. Katie's beautiful hazel eyes look up to meet mine and I smile at her. I kiss her knuckles and she smiles.

"I can't believe that it's almost been a year." Katie admits and I smile. "Where did the time go?"

"I wish I knew." I admit. "We're getting pretty good at this parenting thing."

"We are." She smiles and I kiss her lips across the island. "I don't know if I'm ready for you to go back on tour and cheat on me with some hot blonde." Katie says quietly and I shake my head.

"I'm not going to cheat on my wife." I tell her and she half smiles. "I never would, I love you too much."

"I love you so much." Katie whispers and I squeeze her hand.

"I love you too. You and Melody are my whole world, you mean more to me than drums and the fans, the band and tour, and even Nikki." I joke and she laughs. "I can't wait to marry you."

Katie and Melody are really my whole world, like my world revolves around them. Explaining how much I love them would be like explaining colours to a blind person. It would be like trying to explain music to a deaf person. It'd be like explaining fire to the Abominable Snowman or snow to the devil. You can't put it into words but it's real, it's one hundred percent real.