Big Sister Melody

Tommy

Katie is still asleep from the surgery so I decided to take Melody to go and see her little siblings. The nurse directed me towards the nursery where Sebastian and Song are being taken care of. I hold Melody in my arms as we reach the big window that looks into the room with all the newborn babies.

"Daddy, which ones are they?" My daughter wonders as I scan the baby cribs.

Two cribs side by side in the middle of the room hold my twins. Song is wrapped in a pink blanket with a matching hat and Sebastian is wrapped in a blue blanket with a blue hat. My son is sleeping gently while my daughter is wide awake and looking around at the lights and nurses.

"Right there." I point to her baby siblings. "The little girl and the little boy, they're your little brother and sister."

"I have one of each? A brother and a sister?"  She asks quietly with her smile plastered across her face.

"Yeah, their names are Sebastian and Song." I explain and Melody presses her nose up against the glass.

"Can we go in and see them?" Melody wonders.

"We can't yet. Once mama wakes up we'll be able to see the babies." I explain to her.

"Then can we go see mama?" She wonders.

"I don't think so, lamb. Mama has to sleep." I tell her.

"I want to see her." Melody admits and presses her forehead to mine.

"I want to see her too." I admit. "I want to make sure that she's okay."

I hug Melody a bit tighter and her tiny arms wrap around my neck. I missed my baby, I missed my little lamb. I missed her hugs and they way she wakes me up in the morning to eat breakfast with her. I missed driving her to school and picking her up. I just missed everything about her.

"So T-Bone, you're a dad again?" Vince's voice calls as I turn back.

Standing at the end of the hall is Mick, Nikki, and Vince, Melody looks up and sees them and she instantly wants to be put down so she can see her uncles. Melody runs up and jumps at Nikki who scoops her up and spins her around. Vince and Mick continue up to me.

"So, what did Katie have?" Vince wonders and peaks in the nursery window.

"A boy and a girl." I say and point them out. "Song and Sebastian."

"They're tiny." The singer comments.

"How's Katie doing?" Mick wonders.

"Well she's still knocked out, after Sebastian was born Katie's blood pressure dropped drastically and they put her into emergency surgery to get Song out." I explain. "The doctors said that she'll be fine once she wakes up again."

"That's good." Mick agrees.

"Yeah, Eddie and Alex are with her right now." I say.

Katie

It was a given with how early I was born I was going to be in and out of the hospital a lot as a kid. I had a very weak immune system and if I could go three months without being hospitalized I was laughing. That was my life until I was about ten or so.

This one time when I was about Melody's age I came down with a really bad ear infection. I was in excruciating pain for every second that I was awake so the doctors were pumping me right full of pain killers. I was in the hospital about a week and a half before the pain died down enough that I didn't need pain killers.

Eddie and Alex didn't go to school much that week and a half, they would try but end up coming home because of how worried they were. They would sit on the bed with me and teach me how to play thirty one or gin rummy. When I was younger they'd always let me win but as I got a bit older they actually started playing and I didn't win so much.

It always worried mum and dad when I'd get hospitalized. I knew our family didn't have a lot of money growing up and the hospital bills were monstrous but that's not what they were worried about. Alex used to say that mum and dad were always afraid of losing me, they've had that fear since my birth. So every time I went into the hospital mum and dad worried that I wouldn't come back out. Eddie said that mum and dad made them pray a lot more than normal whenever I was in the hospital too, pleading for my health and wellbeing.

Maybe it was because I was a kid but I was never scared when I was in the hospital. Maybe kids are just fearless, I know the Melody is. I wasn't scared of the doctors or the nurses or the needles or even sleeping in the hospital. But as I got older those fears set in, I'm just lucky that I've never had to go to the hospital by myself in my adult life.

I roll over in bed and pain pangs in my stomach, I open my eyes and I'm greeted with the bright white light of the hospital room. I give my eyes a second to adjust to the light before looking around the room, the chair beside my bed is empty and my brothers are talking at the foot of the bed.

"Where's my husband and children?" I ask and my voice comes out hoarse, my brothers look over to me.

"What? No 'hi, Eddie' or 'thanks for taking me to the hospital, Eddie'." My brother mocks hurt and I roll my eyes. "I see where your priorities lay."

"Are the twins okay?" I wonder and my oldest brother smiles.

"They're perfect, little Sebastian and little Song." Alex tells me and I smile. "You did good delivering them, little one."

"What about Melody and Tommy?" I ask. "Where are they?"

"Tommy took Melody to go see the babies." Eddie explains.

"I want to see my babies." I pout and cross my arms which makes my brothers laugh. "I want to see my Tommy and Melody too!" I state.

"I'll go get them." Alex promises with a laugh and I smile.