e l e v e n

Chapter 11: Holy Mother of Cookies

Kylie's POV

Thankfully we made it back to school five minutes before the bell rang. Jane went in the direction of her class while Cam and I ran towards the gym which was a lot farther. The bell rang right when we sprinted through the double doors of the gym almost crashing into Coach Donner, who was talking to one of the other gym teachers. She shook her head at us disapprovingly then continued on with her conversation. Cameron and I then headed our separate ways to change. After I had finished, I made my way over to the bleachers to find Cameron waiting for me with a grin.

"Can you guess which five of Coach's favorite students earned extra laps for today's run around the field?" He asked, feigning excitement.

"It's me and you isn't it?" I groaned. "How many did she give us? Wait," I stopped. "Did you say five? There's only two of us."

He gasped. "You can count! I am so proud of you!" He said, dramatically wiping away fake tears.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I was cut off guard when a pair of arms slid around my waist from behind and loud gasps were made. Cameron scrunched his face in disgust mouthing the words 'Mr. Popular.'

A warm feeling filled my body at his touch. I wanted to melt in his arms like a Popsicle on a hot summers day. His arms felt so good around my waist, like, they just belonged there. I could get used to this.

"Isn't the Kylie, the nerd from our history class?" One whisper.

"Yeah, it is." Another whisper.

"What is a hottie like Jake Bryant doing with his arms around that thing?" And another whisper.

Was it just me or did people really not know how to whisper?

"Oh my gosh! What if they become a thing?"

"If they do she will become popular. Do you know what that would mean? A nerd will be above us, the average people. It would be a living nightmare."

A grunt was made from behind Jake. "Of course she can count. She's a nerd, she's supposed to know everything."

Automatically I knew it was Grayson, but I couldn't process what he was saying because all I could focus on were the stares and whispers that were being made from the bleachers. I could only imagine the other cruel things they may be saying to each other while glaring at me and Jake- mostly me but still. They wouldn't be glaring if Jake wasn't so close.

The warm feeling disappeared and was replaced with nervousness. I laughed nervously, putting my hands on Jake's. "Jake, um, could you kind of, um..." I didn't want to make it sound like I didn't want him near me or that I was uncomfortable.

"Could I what?" He asked, propping his chin on my shoulder oblivious to all the comments and stares being made.

Cameron must have noticed something when he saw me look at the bleachers then back down to Jake's arms. "I think she was wondering if you could release her from your prison like grip."

Jake's arms loosened around me, but still remained. "Who are you?" He asked Cameron.

Cam scoffed. "I'm her boyfriend and I don't appreciate you touching my girl like that."

Jake's hands dropped faster than fast while my eyes widened in shock. I gasped and slapped Cameron in the chest. I looked over at Jake who was furrowing his eyes brows at us, confused.

"B- boyfriend?" He sputtered. "What-Why didn't you tell me?"

Jake looked shocked, no doubt. He also looked hurt and annoyed. Maybe pissed. The fact that those were the emotions he showed made me feel hurt inside and I knew that none of what Cameron said was true.