s e v e n t e e n

Chapter 17: Be Mine?

Kylie's POV

"Hey."

"AGH!" I slammed my locker, dropping my books as my hands flew up then came to my chest as my heart jumped out. "Dustin?"

He chuckled, picking up my books. "Did I scare you?"

"Uh, yeah." I said, as if the fact that the panicked look on my face wasn't enough. "What are you doing here?" He stared at me blankly, blinking every few seconds. "Has it been a week already?"

"Uh, yeah." He said mocking me. " And it's Ryder, not Dustin." He learned in close and lowered his voice. "I had to change my name for obvious reasons."

"So "Ryder" is the name you chose?" I asked. How cliche could he get? Ryder was the name of typical bad boys, was it not? I mean he looked exactly like the definition of a bad boy; leather jacket, slicked back hair, sunglasses hanging on the neckline of his shirt which had some kind of derogatory image on it. Did the name really have to match his looks and personality?

"What's wrong with "Ryder"?" He asked, slightly offeneded. "It sounds pretty cool."

"Whatever you say." I sang, walking away towards the cafeteria. "How long have you been here anyway?"

Surprisingly, this Monday was going awesome. I saw Madeline in my first few classes and invited her to join the siblings and I for lunch. Most of my teachers were out because of some safety training they had to do. Jake and I were back on good- more like amazing- terms. It was pretty much just an overall good day so far.

He caught up beside me and shrugged. "The whole day. I was stuck in the office going through processing and whatever."

"Sounds boring," I muttered. "Did you see Ryan yet?"

He shook his head. "Not yet,"

Dustin opened the door, allowing me to go in first then he followed behind me. Automatically everyone's heads turned to look at the new guy, and as he continued to follow me looks of shock appeared.

"Who's the hottie?"

"I saw him in the office earlier. Heard he has some kind of record."

"His name is Ryder Streak. He just moved here from Miami."

I snickered to myself. "Streak?"

Dustin looked down at me and rolled his eyes. "It sounded badass at the time."

When we got to the table. I wasn't surprised to see Madeline already eating with Jane and Cam. I was surprised however to see Ryan and Jake sitting with them engaging in conversation.

"Hey guys," I said hesitantly.

Jake's head shot up and immediately my favorite smile was on his lips. "Hey Kyls." I took a seat next to him and automatically his hands went around my shoulders, pulling me into him. I smiled at him and pecked his cheek causing Jane to coo and Cam to gag.

"Ahem!"

Our heads snapped back to Dustin who was still standing. "Right, guys this is, um, Ryder Streak. He's new here. Ryder this is Cameron and Jane; they're probably the closest pair of step siblings you'll ever meet. That's Madeline, she's new too. Ryan's the guy downing the burger and this is Jake."

Dustin nodded a hello at them.

"Ryder Streak!?" Ryan repeated, then started laughing. "Cool name dude."

Everyone else furrowed their brows at how rude he was being towards Ryder, but that was only because they didn't know the truth.

Dustin shot him a quick glare when no one was looking and flipped him off. I patted the spot next to me so that he could sit and I felt Jake's arm slide down to my waist and tighten around me.