❸

"What do you mean he's here?" Travis questioned, rising from Marisol's bed, quickly picking his jacket off of the floor. The girl sat up, shushing him to lower his voice, out of fear of the Monse hearing him from her room.

Marisol didn't have the heart to her boyfriend that Cesar was also over. Usualy, when their father was away, the girls coordinated their plans so the boys avoided seeing each other. Monse warned Marisol about this exact situation but Marisol, being Marisol, didn't take it seriously. It was only for one night.

"Monse wanted to have him over, it's not even that big of a deal. Plus, they're going to be leaving for a party soon."

Travis fixed his shirt before zipping up his hoodie. He picked up his phone from the nightstand, shoving it into his back pocket.

"Look, Mari, I agreed to keep shit cool with him after what happened with Latrell but this is too much."

"But there's a truce," she reminded him.

The boy shook his head, "Just because there's a truce doesn't make him safe! Especially since we found out the Santos aren't protecting him anymore. Marisol, you're not getting it, my boys don't even know that I know where he's staying. They'd kill me."

Travis began to walk towards the door but Marisol grabbed the sleeve of his hoodie, bringing him back.

She rolled her eyes, tired of having the same argument. She understood that it was dangerous to be with Travis while Monse was with Cesar but, she, stupidly, figured the truce would calm the tension down.

"God, they're not going to find out! When are Prophets ever on this side of Freeridge anyway? This is a Santo neighbourhood."

"You think they don't still have eyes out here? You can't be that fucking clueless, Marisol. One of them is going to snitch if they keep seeing me come over here."

"So, what are you trying to say?" Marisol let go of him, crossing her arms over her chest.

Travis shrugged nonchalantly, "I'm trying to say that I'm not going to be doing this anymore."

He opened the bedroom door, beginning to walk down the hallway as Monse opened her door to see what all the yelling was about. She looked at her sister, who was currently shaking with anger. She couldn't find the right words to express what she was feeling. All she felt was anger because of how abruptly he could end things and walk away from her.

"You know what, go fuck yourself!" Marisol yelled out as he shut the front door behind him.

She scoffed, getting ready to slam her door shut when she caught eye of Monse and Cesar watching in silence. She stopped, glancing back at the teenagers.

"I'm sorry," Monse apologized, her voice low.

"This is my fault," Cesar shook his head in shame and anger.