❸❸

❸❸

Marisol knocked on the door, lightly, before slowly pushing it open. Inside, she found her sister in bed. She was still lying in the same position she was in when Marisol left.

The younger girl glanced up from her spot underneath the blankets, pulling them over her head when she realized who it was. Marisol walked over, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Skipped school again?"

Monse sadly nodded.

Marisol let out a chuckle, pulling at the blanket from the girl, revealing her face, "Wow, dad used to ground me when I skipped school."

"Probably because you would come back high," Monse joked, lightening the mood.

Marisol's smile widened. "Still graduated," she reminded.

She noticed the unchanging mood of her sister, making it hurt to see how sad she had become. Marisol was used to being the depressed on.

"Wanna go get ice cream? I'll pay," the older girl offered, hoping that maybe she would up for it. Monse just shook her head. The last thing she wanted to do was leave her room, let alone the house.

"No thanks," Monse rolled over, her voice sounding tired and lifeless.

Marisol moved closer, laying beside her on the bed. She grabbed the blankets from her sister, getting underneath them.

She mimicked her sister's position, propped her head up with the palm of her head.

As Monse's back faced towards her, the older girl frowned, "You love ice cream though."

Monse turned back over, her eyes stared right into her sister's as she spoke. "Cesar's dead, isn't he?"

"He's not, Monse," Marisol tried to reassure her.

Monse defeatedly exhaled, "He is, and I just have to accept it."

Marisol's eyebrow raised, her head nodding in the direction behind her sister, "Then who is that standing outside your window?"

"What about your brother? Maybe he can help,"

"Spooky's done with me," Cesar's eyes glanced up at Marisol, causing her chest to hurt, "It's over."

"So, what now?" Monse questioned, staring across at Cesar.

The four teenagers sat on the floor in a circle, a single latern remained lit in the middle. Marisol positioned herself on her sister's bed, overseeing the conversation.

She hated to admit it but the adolescent drama seemed to be the most interesting thing going on her life right about now.

Cesar began to nod his head slowly, looking around at his peers, "I disappear, leave for good. That's the only way to keep Latrelle away and keep us all safe."

Jamal's eyes widened as he presented his idea, "But what if you go to the cops?"

Cesar narrowed his eyes at the boy, "And tell them what? That I was going to kill Latrelle, but the gun jammed?"

When he was shot down, Jamal simply nodded his head, "Good point. But if you redact the kill and the gun parts, then maybe-"

"My only option is to get out of town."

"Take the Rollerworld money," Monse spoke up, her tone serious, "All of it."

"The only reason we went after the money was to get you out of the gang," Jamal reminded.

"I love you guys," Cesar's lips tightened into a smile, "but I'm only taking my share. Do some good with the rest."

"We'll wire you your share," Ruby stated.

Cesar argued, "You can't."

"What do you mean?" Monse questioned, her eyebrows lowering on her forehead.

"I'm starting a new life," the Santo informed, "new name, new everything."

"Then how do we find you?" The girl asked.

Marisol spoke up, making the kids' heads turn towards her, "You don't, that's the point."

Cesar nodded his head, agreeing with the older sister, "That's the only way all of us can stay safe. Once I get somewhere, I'll email you to let you know I'm safe but that's it. Just one more thing, I can't be on the street with that kind of cash. Bring my share to the bus station at seven."

"So this is it?" Monse's voice began to break as she looked around at the group, "Our last night together?"

"Yeah," Jamal grabbed a Twinkie he had brought for his friend. He held his hands out as Marisol tossed him the lighter she kept in her pocket. The boy carefully placed a candle on top, lighting it. He handed it over to Cesar, "And our last group birthday. Make a wish."

After Monse and Cesar requested some alone time for their goodbyes, everyone else split into separate rooms. Marisol returned to her bedroom as Ruby and Jamal talked in the kitchen, running back and forth out of the house. Marisol cracked opened her door, her stomach beginning to grumble. The diner food didn't really fill her as much as she wished it did. As Marisol got closer, she could hear the boys whispering to each other.

She heard Jamal's animated voice, "You know, with my cut, I'm finally going to build the Fortress of Jamalitude, guarded by professionally trained wolves, not that I couldn't train them myself. And the fortress will be big, but not gaudy, nouveau riche big, five bedrooms max.I care about my carbon footprint. My parents would have a room, soundproof probably is best as we've learned. Your room would have plenty of room for you and your sock. Monse's would get lots of sunlight to inspire her writing, and it would be on the other side of the house so we wouldn't have to deal with her nagging. Cesar's room would have a big closet for all his black tanks."

"Well, that's assuming we ever see Cesar again," Ruby sadly stated.

"You really think we'll never see him again?"

The older girl cleared her throat as she entered the kitchen, making the boys turn their eyes towards her.

"Don't mind me," she chuckled, walking over to the cabinets, opening one as the teenagers continued their conversation.

Ruby sighed, roughly sitting in one of the kitchen chairs. He throw his hands up dramatically, "What are we doing?"

"What do you mean?" Jamal questioned, stuffing supplies in one of the backpacks for Cesar.

"We're handing over a bag of cash to a 15 year old who can't get an apartment or a real job," he explained, "There's no guarantee he'll be safe. Spending cash makes him a target, and hobos are way scarier than gangs."

Marisol grabbed a bag of chips, opening them as she leaned against the kitchen counter. Jamal pointed at her, raising an eyebrow, "Can you still say hobos?"

Ruby stood up, pushing the chair back, "We have to do something!"

"Like what?" Marisol's words came out muffled due to the food in her mouth.

"What are you thinking?" Jamal asked.

"We save Cesar!"

"That's exactly what we're doing," Jamal gestured to the backpacks that were laid out on the kitchen table, "We're getting him out."

Ruby shook his head, before a smirk appeared on his face, "No, we buy him back in." He slowly turned his head over to Marisol, who was busy picking through the bag and stuffing her face, "And she's gonna help us."

merry christmas guys!!