❹

Marisol decided to stay with Cesar to keep him company as she walked him back to Ruby's house. They walked side by side, laughing and joking until their conversation died down and then silence took over. After a couple moments, Cesar spoke up, "I'm sorry that you and Travis broke up."

"Don't be, it was bound to happen."

"What do you mean?" Cesar asked, his eyebrow raising in confusion.

Marisol shrugged, not knowing how to explain how she felt, "I don't know, lately, it just became boring to be with him. You know when you know someone for a long time and your time together just slowly begins to run out?"

Cesar slowly nodded, understanding what she had meant.

Marisol continued, "And I knew when I told him about my dad becoming more strict, having him sneak in and out of the house, on top of a bunch of other things, it just got to a certain point. I could tell he wanted to break up for a while."

"So, you're not upset?"

Marisol sighed, trying to put together what she wanted to exactly say, "I was more upset that he made our argument about you being at house when we both knew it was more than that. It was about him being a Prophet and you being a Santo, and the 'rules' that come with it. You've never had a problem with him but he had one with you, because he always felt like he had to. It was stupid."

Cesar didn't say anything, just continued to walk.

When they reached the Martinez house, Cesar asked one more time if Marisol wanted to join. But, she just shook her head and nodded for him to go forward. Before he left, he gave Marisol another hug, thanking her for what she had said to Oscar. She gladly told him she would do it anytime.

The next morning, Marisol was woken up by her alarm clock. The girl groaned, feeling the painful headache she always recieved from smoking the nighf before. She rolled over, turning the annoying sound of and rose from her bed. Marisol quickly got dressed in her normal attire and said goodbye to Monse before leaving.

When Marisol got to the bodega, she shook her head at the mess she had found outside. It was Freeridge tradition to loot and trash the streets more than usual on New Year's Eve. Marisol didn't realize how annoying and disruptive it was, until she was the one who had to clean up the mess.

As she pulled out her keys, Paolo got out of his car, tiredly sipping his cup of coffee. The girl nodded him good morning before unlocking and opening the door for him, "Long night?"

He groaned, looking at the mess outside before stepping into the store and turning on the "Open" sign. "New Year's with the in-laws," he shook his head, grabbing the broom from behind the counter, "mother hates me, father hates me even more, has for more than twenty five years. Usted sabe cómo va."