❷➆

❷➆

Marisol lightly knocked on the bedroom door as Monse began to get ready for school.

"Hey."

"Hey," Monse replied, fixing her hair one last time before grabbing her backpack.

"I need to borrow your purple shirt," Marisol came into the room, heading for the closet, "I'm going out tonight."

She began to rummage through the younger girl's clothes.

Monse nodded, grabbing the items on her bed and stuffing them into the bag.

Marisol found what she had been looking for, furrowing her brows at her sister. "What's all that for?" She questioned.

Monse slung the heavy backpack over her shoulder, slightly hunching over.

"Cesar. He needed some things and the church doesn't have much," the girl explained.

As she tried to exit the room. Marisol grabbed ahold of Monse's arm, bringing her back in front of her.

"How is he holding up?"

Monse shrugged her shoulders, playing with the strings of her bag, "The best that he can. Oscar still isn't lightening up."

Marisol felt guilty from her sister's words, knowing that Oscar probably had no interest in having Cesar come back home. He hadn't mentioned his brother in a while and whenever Marisol did, he'd shut down.

The older sister took a deep breath, nodding her head, "I'll try talking to Oscar the next time I see him, okay?"

Monse gave her sister a questioning look, "I heard you and dad arguing last night, are you and Oscar like-"

Before Monse could finish, Marisol shook her head, "Woah, no, no, no! We're just hanging out."

Honestly, Marisol didn't know what her and Oscar were considered at this point.

Marisol's jaw clenched slightly as she stared at her younger sister, "What else did you hear?"

"If you're referring to dad not wanting us to live here anymore, then I heard that," Morse's face fell.

Marisol sighed again, placing her hand lightly on Monse's shoulder, "You know he didn't mean it like that, right?"

"How else would he have meant it?"

Marisol took her hand away, crossing her arms over her chest, "You never talked about why you left Selena's, and don't tell me it's because you missed Cesar."

Monse chuckled, shaking her head, "No, it wasn't that. I just knew my place didn't belong with her and her family." Chills ran down Marisol's body at the mention of her mother's new family. She tried to keep down the hurt that came with knowing that she had been replaced.