❸➅

❸➅

"Hello?" Marisol held the phone up to her ear as she went back to restocking the shelves. The girl cut open the box, taking out the heavy bags of rice as Monse began to cry on the other line.

"I need you to come pick me up," Marisol could hear her, beginning to worry. She looked over to the other side of the store at Paolo, who was sound asleep behind the counter.

"Where are you?" Marisol questioned, balancing the device between her ear and shoulder. She quickly finished unpacking the box, throwing it into the back before shutting the door behind her.

"The bus station."

"Why are the fuck are you there?" Marisol scolded, wondering how the teenager managed to get on the other side of town.

Monse let out a shaky deep breath, "Can we please not do this right now?"

The girl sighed, watching as it began to get dark outside, "Fine, I'll be there in fifteen."

Marisol hung up the phone, shoving it into her back pocket as she made her way over to the counter. She walked behind the wooden desk, shaking Paolo roughly on the shoulder. The man jumped, quickly wiping the drool from his cheek.

Marisol grabbed her car keys, throwing her jacket on, "I have to head out, I'll be back in an hour."

Paolo tiredly groaned, getting the crust from out of his eyes, "Whatever, just be back before my novelas comes on. You made me miss last weeks episode."

Marisol parked on the side of the street, watching as the buses began to line up. She watched as a numerous amount of strangers began piling in, keeping an eye out for her sister's familiar face. The girl reached for her device, dialing Monse's number for the third time but like before, not receiving an answer.

Marisol began to grow impatient, checking the time. She groaned, taking off her seatbelt as she exited the vehicle, locking the door as she closed it. She zipped up her jacket, the California wind beginning to pick up with how late it was becoming. Marisol got further and further away from her car as she searched for her sister. She glanced through the bus windows, making sure the teenager wasn't sat inside.

The girl continued, making her way around the corner to the waiting area. There, she finally caught up to her sister, who patiently sat on the broken down bench.

Marisol smiled in relief, walking over to the teenager before taking a seat next to her.

"There you are," she chuckled, instantly noticing the mood Monse was in, "what's wrong?"

Monse's eyes were fixed on the ground, her fingers fidgeting with the loose strings of her sweater. "Cesar's gone," was all she replied with.

Marisol's thick eyebrows came together on her forehead in confusion, scooting closer to her sister.

"Like, he left?" Marisol asked and Monse slowly nodded. Her eyes darted up, the girls holding eye contact but the girl's stare was cold and painful.

"I was going to go with him," the teenager confessed, laughing to herself at the idea, "I made sure I told you and dad goodbye before I went." Marisol began to think back to this morning, how off her sister's energy was, and she realized that was the late time she could've seen her. Marisol's chest began to grow hot inside of her as she got ready to scold the girl for how irresponsible her actions were but something about Monse's face made her stop.

"So, why are you here?" Marisol leaned forward, resting her elbows on her thighs.

"He slept with someone," Monse answered, rolling her eyes as she spoke aloud, "after everything that we've been through, spending all of that time trying to help him." Monse's eyes began to water as she continued, "He slept with another girl."

Marisol's heart felt as if it were going to burst as she shared a glance with her sibling, knowing the exact hurt she was feeling. She thought about all of the ways that she could possibly comfort her, try to make her feel better. But from experience, Marisol knew that there was nothing she could say or do to help the situation.

Monse shook her head in disbelief, "I'm so stupid."

"Hey, hey," Marisol threw her arm over her sister's shoulder, bringing the girl in close to her as she hugged her, "you're not stupid, he is. I don't ever want you to let a guy's actions make you feel like less of a person."

Tears began to slowly stream down the girl's face, forcing her to push them away, "How did you get through it?"

Marisol was taken aback from the question, the first thing that came to mind, coming out of her mouth.

"Honestly? Drugs," Marisol answered, instantly regretting her words. She pointed a finger at her sister, sternly, "And that's the complete opposite of what you should do to cope."

Marisol let out a giggle, putting her head in her hands as she shook her head, "God, I am a horrible influence."