❶➈

disclaimer: if youre triggered by domestic violence, please skip over this chapter❶➈

❶➈

Marisol silently sang along to her music, nodding her head along to the beat before it was abruptly paused.

Athena's contact took up her screen, the ringing filling Marisol's ears. The girl groaned, ripping the headphones out of the phone before holding it up to her cheek.

"Yeah?" She answered but all she could hear on the other line was heavy breathing and the sound of uncontrollable sobs.

Marisol sat up, pressing the phone harder to her as she stood up, "Athena?"

The crying continued, making Marisol's heartbeat quicken and her skin begin to sweat as she kept calling the girl's name. Words finally escaped through as Athena's sobs got louder.

"I," she panted between her breathes, "need you to come, now!" The cries became harder, making the girl begin to cough roughly.

"I'm coming now," Marisol told her, beginning to put her shoes on as fast as she possibly could, "where are you?"

"Clairvont Hotel, room 312," Athena began to hyperventilate as she continued to cry.

Marisol grabbed her car keys before rushing out of the house, adrenaline beginning to kick in.

"Don't move, okay? I'm on my way!"

Marisol hung up the phone, putting the car in reverse before speeding off in the direction of the hotel.

"Fuck!" She yelled, looking down from the road to dial the number.

"Pick up, pick up," she nervously said, keeping one hand on the wheel as she waited for the dial tone to end.

"What's up?" Oscar picked up the phone, loud music playing in the background.

Marisol took a sharp right, causing the car to skid.

"I need you to meet me somewhere, it's an emergency," she told him, regaining control of the car.

"I'm kinda busy right now," Oscar cleared his throat, sending heat rushing through Marisol's body as she held the phone up to her mouth.

"I do not give a single fuck if you are busy right now!" She screamed into the phone, running an incoming red light, "My cousin is in fucking trouble so I am going to text you an address and your ass better be there in less than ten minutes or I will personally beat the fucking shit out of you!"

Marisol quickly ripped her seatbelt off, running out of the car as Oscar pulled up outside of the hotel.

He got out, walking up to the girl, "What the fuck happened?"

Marisol ignored him, walking into the lobby. She didn't listen to the man at the service desk, who was yelling at her that she had to check in, as she repeatedly hit the elevator door button. Her and Oscar quickly piled into the elevator, Marisol hitting the button for the third floor. Her leg anxiously bounced as they waited.

When the door opened, Oscar followed behind as Marisol took off down the hallway, checking for the right room. When they had finally found it, the girl began pounding on the door, shouting for Athena to open the door.

After about thirty seconds, she looked up at Oscar, nodding towards the door.

He shook his head, making the girl squint at him in anger and annoyance.

"Do it," she demanded, her voice dark and frightening.

Oscar sighed, taking a step back from the door before connecting his upper arm with the wood. The door swung open, frightening the man who was sitting on the bed. The man stood up, backing away from the strangers.

Oscar grabbed the man by the collar of his shirt, roughly, making him let out a cry.

"Where is she?" Oscar yelled in his face, shaking him.

The man grabbed Oscar's hands, trying to pry off the grip, "God, she's in the bathroom!"

Marisol ran to the room, twisting the door knob but it was locked from the inside. She pounded on the door, pressing her forehead on the wood, "Athena? It's me!"

The door quickly swung open as the girl ran into Marisol's arms, her chest shaking as she sobbed. The girl practically fell to her knees, Marisol having to keep her steady as they exited the bathroom.

Athena pulled her face away from Marisol's chest, revealing the purple and blue bruises across her face. Her bottom lip was swollen and cut, her right eye closed in. Marisol gasped, instinctively grabbing the back of the girl's head, bringing her back into her chest.

Marisol looked up at Oscar, who was staring back at her. She gave him a single nod before leading Athena out of the room. The girl closed the door behind her as the sounds of muffled groans and screaming erupted.

Marisol sat on the floor, rocking the girl between her legs as she combed her fingers through Athena's hair. She continuously rubbed her back, telling her it would be okay as her cousin continued to sob and cry. All the girl could make out was apologies and how stupid she was, making Marisol's vision become blurred with tears. She pushed back Athena's hair out of her face, running her hand up and down the girl's spine as she shushed her, "You're going to be okay, everything's gonna be fine."

For what seemed like forever, the sounds of punches and kicks landing had finally stopped and Athena had cried herself to sleep.

Marisol sat in the hallway of the hotel, her legs out in front of her as Athena's head laid in her lap. With one hand, Marisol softly played with her hair as the other held her hand. Marisol couldn't get herself to stop the crying as her head leaned back on the wall, looking up at the light fixture. The sound of the door creaking caused her to tear her eyes away from the blinding white.

Marisol slowly turned her head, lifelessly watching Oscar come out of the room, his white shirt covered in sweat and blood, his chest heaving up and down heavily. He looked down at Marisol, the two sharing stares before he motioned for her to get up.

She made sure to carefully stand up, trying to not disturb Athena as Oscar scooped the girl up in his hands. As they began walking down the hallway, Marisol stopped, looking back at the room.

"What about him?" She questioned.

Oscar clicked the elevator door button, "Cuchillos is handling it."