❶❶

❶❶

Marisol fixed her makeup in the mirror of Oscar's car as he drove her back home.

He laughed, looking over at her as he held one hand on the steering wheel, "What are you doing?"

"I have to atleast make it convincing that I didn't just wake up ten minutes ago," she explaining, patting the concealer into her skin.

He shook his head, parking across the street from her home. She quickly got out, going around to his side of the car, ducking down to his height. He rolled the window down, smiling up at her.

"Thank you," Marisol grinned and Oscar shrugged.

"Anytime."

The girl gave him one last smile before turning around to walk inside the house. It was barely four in the afternoon, so her father should be on his way home by now, so Marisol had enough time to get her excuses together.

Or, she thought.

When Marisol turned around, across the street stood her father along with Monse and an older woman.

"Oh shit," she groaned, as her father angrily stared back at his daughter.

"No shit!" Monty yelled.

Marisol dreadfully walked across the street, ready to feel the wrath of her father, "Look, I can explain-"

"Oh, me and you will have a conversation about that later!" Monty raised his voice, making Marisol flinch at how mad her father was. He turned back to Monse, who stood next to the woman.

Marisol didn't notice until she looked up and it felt like the wind had been knocked out of her lungs.

The woman who stood next to her sister was her mother.

After all of these years, wondering where she was, her mother was standing right in front of her.

Her hair wasn't curly anymore, she now wore it pin straight and dyed it a lighter shade of blonde. Her hue wasn't as dark as Marisol remembered, her lips were now a shade of pale pink instead of rosey red. But, it was her.

"Oh my god," Julia cried, her hand going to cover her mouth as she began to sob, "you've grown up so beautifully."

The words left Marisol's mouth. She had thought about this moment since the day her mother left. She had thought about how she would scream, cry, make her feel like absolute shit for ever leaving her family. Marisol thought over and over again how all of that pent up hate would just be let out whenever she got the chance. But, all she could feel right now was nausea.

Monty looked at Monse, pain in his eyes, "I don't get it, I thought we were a team."

"We are," Monse argued, "I never intended on keeping this a secret, I was trying to find a way to not upset you."

Marisol scoffed at Monse's excuse, earning a glare from her sister.

"I get that you are trying to understand where you came from but this is not how you do it," Monty shook his head, "You don't sneak around."

"Come on, T, please don't punish her," Julia stepped forward, trying to calm him down.

Marisol pointed a finger at her, snapping, "You can stay out of this!" Julia backed away, slightly frightened but Marisol continued, the nausea turning into rage. "Let's all be honest here, you wouldn't even be looking for us if Monse hadn't found you!"

"I thought about you guys all of the time," Julia shook her head, tears beginning to form in her eyes.

Marisol began to laugh coldly, shivers going down her shoulders, "Oh, you're crying? That's hilarious."

"It must've been so hard for you thinking about them in Brentwood while I was raising our daughters in Freeridge!" Monty spat, "I can't believe you were just ten miles away."

Monse stepped in front of her mother, like she was protecting her from the two, "Dad, please don't do this to Julia."

"Julia?" Monty questioned, looking at the woman with betrayal in his eyes.

Marisol crossed her arms over her chest as she slowly shook her head at them, "Her name's Selena, but I guess that changes once the houses on the block get nicer."

"We don't know you," Monty said, his voice emotionless as he stared at her, "You're a stranger."

"Not anymore," Monse cut in.

"Why are you trying to defend her?!" Marisol yelled at her sister, her voice beginning to feel raw.

"I want the girls to stay with me," Julia grabbed Monse's hand, holding the teenager in her arms.

"Over my dead fucking body," Marisol scoffed as Monty shook his head.

"No way."

"This isn't a safe environment for anyone," Julia debated, "Let alone two teenagers who have to take care of themselves. You can't protect them when you're gone for weeks at a time. You didn't even know where Marisol was all night!"

"You don't get to come back and decide if we're safe with dad or not!" Marisol snatched her sister away from Julia roughly, pushing the girl behind her, "If you were so worried about that, you wouldn't have left in the first place! We're fine! Monse hasn't had the chance to be disappointed by you yet and I'm not going to let her."

Monse grabbed Marisol's hand, turning the older girl around to look at her, "I wanna know her, Mari."

"You really wanna know her?" Monty dryly laughed, "Just watch, watch her walk away. Monse, I'll see you inside."

Monty didn't take a last glance at Julia before turning his back as he walked inside the house. Marisol's heart broke as she watched him.

She slowly glanced at her mother, who had tears streaming down her face. Marisol didn't know why but it pissed her off to see her cry, what did she have to be sad about?

"My offer will always stand, if you change your mind," Julia reminded her daughter, sniffling.

"Fuck off," Marisol scoffed, now being able to be the one who turned her back on her.

julia annoyed the fuck out of me tbh like bro we all know if monse hadnt found you you wouldve never contacted her LMAOOO girl shut up