Chapter 17: Love on the Rim

Date – March 1st 3035

Time – 12:20am

System – Outer Rim System Alpha

Planet – Unnamed

Location – HeartPool

Status – All but good conditions.

Slowly they made their way back to Heartpool. They wondered if they should even continue calling the base Heartpool anymore. Chandi gave it the name and now she's dead. Maybe it would be best to continue calling it Heartpool in her honor.

But its a grim reminder that their once good friend is now gone. Even then, what would they do to commemorate Jaden? Or Oscar and his bravery during the battle? These things...they all asked themselves inside.

Their friends...dead. Zilo seems to be on his last fiber of sanity and no one knows who'll kill who, Brent or Zilo. Jamie's big brother is dead and he has no more family to turn too not to mention Athena being forced to grow up so much more quickly.

Addis maybe battle hardening but she grows weaker with each battle not to mention Covy. Amber, just finding out Chandi was her sister, now deals with the grief of losing family...and her best friend not to mention Zilo disowning her.

With Covy, there's no telling what could be the negative effects from the experiments she's been put through. Covy seems fine, worn out but fine compared to Aria. Aria grows pale, sick and weaker each passing moment and only God knows why.

But worst of all, Justin has to lead the broken group. He's tired of fighting and grows more irritable day by day. Addis knows he has more stress than any human being should have to deal with and worst of all, she knows its slowly taking its toll.

They could finally see Heartpool. The walk was longer than it usually feels because of their slow pace and broken spirits.

Covy held Aria in her arms keeping her as close as possible to keep warm. The cold was coming and it would take no prisoners when it arrives.

Aria coughed weakly as if her lungs would give way at any moment and Covy could only watch and hope that medicine would help.

Addis struggled to keep herself walking up straight as Justin leaned on her for support. Brent noticed she needed some help so he quickly made himself useful and took Justin's other arm.

They traveled in silence. A grim reminder that they're coming back from war. Truly, the planet will never allow them to get back to where they were before.

Amber held the door open as everyone trudged inside. Bodies still litter the ground as crows try to plant their beaks past the armor of the soldiers to get to an easy meal.

Inside and finally in some measures safety, you could tell Covy was only waiting to get behind the walls. It wasn't long till exhaustion fell upon her and she fell to the ground with Aria in her arms.

"Covy!" everyone shouted in unison. Justin tried to go to her aid but he fell to the ground himself due to his leg.

Brent helped her up and carried her bridal style as Amber held Aria. Covy was completely exhausted. What did they do to her?

Halfway to the cave Athena walked outside. She saw them and smiled. Even through all of this, it still brightened everyone's day just a bit.

"You're back! Don't worry I'll help! Should I start the fire? Does anyone need water?" Amber couldn't help but smile. Athena's help was much needed.

"Yeah...thanks honey. What I need you to do is go get the medical supplies alright?" Athena smiled, nodded and ran inside to attend to Amber's wishes.