Chapter 24: Trust in the Shadow

Date – April 18th 3035

Time – 3:50am

System – Outer Rim System Alpha

Planet – Unnamed

Location – HeartPool

Status – Battle hardened

Ninety four...confirmed dead.

It took ninety four men and women to take control and obliterate the Federation base Devil one.

After the battle, Acacia never felt so sick. She's lost many good men and women before but not this much. She has never thought that the battle would've taken so many lives and she hated the thought of it.

She told Justin right after the body count that they would take some time off from dealing with the Federation and focus on her people, taking care of them along with hiding the tanks and the loads of information they've found.

Justin understood, he and his friends returned to Heartpool, not necessarily saddened but not happy or gleeful. The Federation body count came in to three hundred and seventy four along with two hundred and forty one captured.

Looking at the numbers Justin could recall he killed about twenty at least. The thought of them all killing so many still wasn't something they were completely comfortable with even though they were becoming better and better at it everyday.

Athena has developed a habit now. She goes completely quiet and won't talk to anyone after a battle or after she's killed something. She'd go off and be alone to think about what she's done, how she could've avoided it or why she had to do it.

But they must press on, no use in complaining they just had to keep pushing. One day they'd get home, be welcomed as heroes, Justin could buy a new ship...things could go back to normal.

Dropped off by one of Acacia's men they came home tired. Aria and Jamie sprinted to Covy and tackled her to the ground followed by a groan. Too tired to help, everyone watched and chuckled to themselves as Covy struggled getting barraged with hugs and kisses from the kids.

Manlin came after asking about the battle getting the full story from Amber. They seemed to be getting along a whole lot seeing that Amber only other friend in the group is Covy.

After dinner, everyone went to bed early, tired of hear or thinking about the Federation but Justin...Justin couldn't get it off his mind.

"Sleep......there is little time...you must find them...before they find you..." Justin found himself on top of the south mountain again. He looked behind him to see the Dark Figure.

"Who are you dammit?!"

"The one who you must trust..."

"I don't want your riddle bull! Who are you?! What do you want from me?"

The figure turned it's back to Justin and stared at the sky. It was moving quickly turning night to day all before Justin's eyes. "What's happening?!"

"There is little time...you must escape..."

"How? Please...help me...I want to save them...I want to save them all."

"You must find the other Federation compounds...realize...you are not strong enough on your own..."

Justin didn't believe what it was telling him. "What do you mean?"

"You are strong...but they...are also strong..."

"Who? Who?!"

"Covy...Addis...Athena...Acacia......Amber...you must destroy the compounds and escape...free them......but be warned..."