Chapter 4: The Rumor

Aidan and Rolland left their home and entered the nearby Forest of Eternal Mist. Their departure was, of course, not missed by the residents of the slums who saw Rolland accompanying Aidan. As Aidan had an air of mystery and danger about him, there was no shortage of women vying for his affections. Some were sent by various powers within the city trying to gain Aidan to their forces. They were all of course spurned. So seeing the new face of Rolland, the residents could of course not help but gossip as to what their relationship was.

"The man accompanying Aidan looks fairly handsome. Who do you think he is?" asked one woman.

"Perhaps he is the master of Aidan," proposed a daring woman as others gasped.

"Maybe not. His demeanor seemed lacking. I also do not see that man being subservient to anyone," scoffed another woman as some faces around her nodded in agreement.

"Maybe Aidan is the master then," offered another as the other women squealed at the thought.

"That would explain why he turned down the affections of so many women," a woman sighed as others joined her. For unmarried women and married alike they all could not help but lament the loss of such a fine man.

Like this, a rumor about Aidan spread like wildfire through the city of Kallrun. This rumor reached the ears of several powers that were surprised and thinking about it, rather than doubting the rumors found themselves in agreement, strangely enough. All of this took place over the week Aidan was gone and exploring the forest. This would not be made known to him for quite some time in the future.

Aidan and Rolland had spent the last eight hours walking about the forest. Aidan walked in a seemingly random path that belied the intent he had. He had stationed his two death knights along with several dozen undead in the outer perimeter of the forest. It was safer that way as it was when one wandered further in that the risk of being permanently lost existed. In particular, Aidan had instructed them to set up a base which he had concealed with various illusory arrays and various wards. This is why they had to take such a long time to arrive at their destination.

However, like an impatient child in the back seat of the car, all Rolland could do was wine and complain. "Are we there yet?"

"No."

"How about now?"

"No," Aidan replied with growing frustration evident in his tone.

"And now?"

"NO!" Aidan boomed in furry. "IT was NO ten minutes ago when you last asked and it is NO now!"

"When will we get there?" Rolland asked again for the umpteenth time.

"We will get there when we get there. Now shut your mouth!" Aidan commanded, now fed up after eight hours of Rolland's childish behavior.

Aidan's command was issued through their bond and Rolland had no choice but to stop talking. However, that did not stop him from sobbing. As though he were the one being wronged he continued to moan making Aidan all the more fed up. Where had he gone wrong he wondered? What Goddess had he angered to deserve such injustice? It took every ounce of restraint of his entire being not to lash out at the juvenile. He found it laughable that the creature of historic horrors, the Death Knight, had degraded to such a state. If Aidan's predecessors could see Rolland perhaps they would turn in their graves and come back to life if only to choke the life out of him for creating such a defect.

Seeing the landmark of the intersecting trees just before a rock face, Aidan sighed in relief. "Finally," his voice quivered with some emotion. Hearing his master's words, Rolland seemed to minutely perk up.