Chapter 12: First Appearance of the Silver Fairy

"How did it go?" asked Kalter as he paced back and forth about his study as a retainer made his report.

"The three did not return and no signs of the disposal of their bodies have been observed. It would seem they have failed," the retainer replied solemnly as Kalter flung his goblet of wine into the fireplace in rage.

"FUCK! Damn that cursed man. It was not enough to humiliate me before the town but now Lora has pleaded her father to cut our engagement. Even my father has brought in that pathetic whore-son as well," Kalter went off in a tirade.

The servant listened silently, sighing inwardly as his young master went off. He had watched Kalter grow up and had high hopes of riding his coat tails into an easy life. However, it would seem Kalter would soon be deposed and his younger brother would inherit the title. Other servants had already pledged themselves to his younger brother, Illeus.

The balance of power within the Bjorln family had shifted and the first son no longer held the position he once had. Kalter had already proven himself an incompetent successor, however his father held onto hope of him one day changing. However, recent events left the Lord Bjorln with no alternatives. His son's exposure had made him not only the laughing stock of the city but jeopardized their relationship with the Leiland family. As it were, the son he had hidden at one of his villas was taken back in to raise as successor.

"What shall we do?" asked the servant as he continued to kneel before Kalter.

"D-Do? Will the assassins talk?" Kalter asked nervously thinking of what the mad man Aidan would do if he found out it was him.

"It is unlikely young master. The organization raises its members to not speak even upon pain of death and torture," he informed Kalter with some certainty. However, how was he supposed to know that they brought along an inexperienced member for training? The assassins were hired from outside the town and did not have much information on Aidan. If they had, they would certainly not have sent the inexperienced girl with the two and certainly would have not taken the mission at all for so little coin.

"And the little bastard?" Kalter questioned with disdain in his voice.

"Protected. Your father spared no expense to have him closely guarded," he replied humbly.

"What of his tutors?"

"Your meaning?"

"Can they be manipulated or bribed?" Kalter asked impatiently.

"He has one tutor. It is the second son of the Leiland family. It would be unwise to approach from his side," the servant informed him in understanding of his intentions.

Kalter gave no sympathy to blood relations. As soon as his father brought in his bastard son and the whore mother, Kalter had already explored several avenues of approach. Kalter would not give up his position without a fight even if that meant murdering his half-brother.

Seeing the dark expression of his master, the servant felt displeased. Only truly perverse individuals would stoop to killing their own blood. Kalter was ignorant of the failing reputation he had within his own camp as he contemplated how to kill his half-brother without alarming his father.

### ### ### ### ###

Aidan sat on his sofa leisurely reading having just finished auctioning some items. He had postponed his regular trips into the forest and instead brought out some items he had in storage shocking his regulars. He had held onto them for a rainy day and decided to auction them seeing as he felt like taking a much needed break from his regular schedule. The meager amount of items he had auctioned this time was worth four trips into the forest baffling the regulars who had known Aidan for years.