Chapter 11: Moths to a Flame

"Proud of yourself?" asked a voice receiving mere silence.

Pak!!

"Do you understand? Do you understand your sin?!" questioned a deep voice, a stinging feeling of anger inherent in it.

Kalter looked up from the floor having stumbled from the slap and pure shock. A trace of blood flowed out from the corner of his lip as he got up and looked at his father.

The man looked down at his son and sighed wearily.

"I asked you only to make a request. Why would you go out of your way to antagonize him of all people? What have you earned other than his scorn and the mocking of the populace?" Lord Bjorln spoke with a resigned tone.

"It's not my fault? That uppity commoner...Whack!" Kalter once again was hit and fell to the ground.

"Fool! Commoner?! A commoner mage goes into that cursed forest and comes out alive for four years and you believe him common?! A commoner mage establishes connections with not only the neutral faction but several prominent alchemists, merchants and healers? Fool!" spat Bjorln with disdain as he looked at his son with a new light of disappointment.

Kalter could only meekly accept his father's words as he cursed Aidan.

"What is that look for? Think you can challenge him? Before you think of avenging your dishonor on Aidan I would think how to remedy your engagement."

"W-what do you mean Father?" Kalter spoke with a flabbergasted tone.

"Lora heard from her maid who was at the market. She has made a request to her father to withdraw the proposal. Going to such filthy places...I have never felt so ashamed. No matter. The spare will have to do."

Kalter watched his father walk out with a downcast expression. It was all that Aidan's fault he justified. If he could only avenge himself then everything would return to normal. As for the would-be usurper, he would get his in time too.

### ### ### ### ###

"Dad wants to thank you for the route and goliath carapace," Don spoke while he and Aidan once again ate lunch at their favorite table on the second floor looking over the restaurant.

"No problem. Lucky find on that one."

"Heard about Kalter," Don spoke mischievously with a grin.

"Yeah. Feel bad for his father to produce such a hopeless heir," Aidan lamented with a mocking tone.

"Might not be heir for long. I heard Lord Bjorln took in a child recently."

"I thought he only had daughters aside from Kalter."

"I thought so too. Did a good job of hiding that boy."

"Boy?"

"Can only be called a boy seeing as he is barely five."

"I bet Kalter is shaking with rage at the thought his position might be usurped by a five year old," Aidan chuckled.

"He should have other more pressing concerns at this moment," Don laughed darkly. "Your little exposure has made the Leiland family reconsider the betrothal of their eldest daughter," Don explained seeing the questioning look on Aidan's face.

"Exposure?"

"It seems Miss Lora is reluctant to marry Kalter seeing as how his, manhood, is spoken of in ill repute."

"Yeah. Got a good look. No good cure for what he has," Aidan recalled.

"Know what he has?" Don questioned, hoping for more gossip to spread.