Chapter 21: Demon's Curse(Part V)

Aidan stood complacently on the outdoor walkway of the building as he surveyed Calder and his group of knights. Calder himself had just reached the second stage as a warrior. It was for this reason he was elevated to captain of his own group. He had a future of possibly becoming a third rank or possibly, even a fourth rank warrior.

Within the wilderness areas of the continent such a rank would be seen as the pinnacle. This differed from the central human territories bearing vast uninterrupted histories and vast collection of resources. For Aidan who originated from the central areas, he could only look condescendingly at Calder knowing he could easily snuff his life. A rank two warrior held little value in his eyes.

"Captain, something seems wrong," warned one of Calder's men warily. Older than Calder, he had a sense of foreboding when he took measure of Aidan.

"Scoff. He's obviously used up a lot on the curse ritual. Men surround and detain him," Calder ordered.

Though hesitant, Calder's men followed his instructions. Pulling out several stone tablets from their wastes up to eye level, light shone outwards and focused on Aidan. The paladins of most religious orders would carry them.

Depending on which deity they adhered to, the magical item would be called the Eye of...blah blah, or blah blah's eye. The benefit of this item was its variability in dealing with mages. More in particular, the standard barrier most mages would set up around their residence. When used in increasing numbers, the added effect of each device would usually tear down most barriers, to a degree.

Receiving the combined assault, Aidan's barrier shimmered and seemed to flex before an audible pop sounded. However, Aidan showed no worry at all. Instead he walked out forward under the collective gaze of Calder and his men dismissing them and their actions.

"Get him!" Calder ordered through gritting teeth in anger.

As the first knight arrived, he swung his sword at Aidan, the sound piercing the air. However, before he arrived, a curtain of darkness spread from Aidan's robes. Like a wave of acid, it covered the knight and forced the others back.

They watched in horror as their comrade seemed to have melted under Aidan's defensive spell. What was left when the darkness dissipated in the air was a pile of bones and rusted armor as though centuries passed in moments.

Clack! The sound of the bones and armor made when falling under its own weight sounded like hammer strikes to their minds. It was terrifying. They clearly underestimated the ability of their foe.

However, Calder remained unamused as he drew his temple sword and charged Aidan. In no time at all, he covered fifty feet and thrusted with his sword. The sword pierced into Aidan however Calder felt something amiss at that moment. As though Aidan were an illusion, his body melted away like mist and disappeared from view.

Aidan never planned to engage with them at all. The figure they had battled with was a mere doppelganger. A magical body created through magic, it had very little substance to it. At most, all it could do was attack once using the limited mana and elemental essence Aidan gifted it before dissipating.

Blocks away, a hooded figure was slowly leaving for the city gates. It was the disguised Aidan. Seeing his position was known, he decided to leave the city under the chaos of the earlier flood and the actions of Calder and his group.

"Layla, Narissa," Aidan reached out mentally.

"Master," they replied.

"Plan fell through. It is now a race against time. Layla, escort Narissa through the route under the house and meet me at the exit," Aidan directed mentally as he walked through an ever-growing crowd.