Chapter 24: Idol

Aidan slept within the vault, his mind retreating within its soul realm.

Within the world of magic, two elements were strictly necessary for the manifestation of magic. The first was the elemental essence, the magical energy which formed the building blocks of spells. The second was debatably the most important, soul power, the ability to shape and control that energy.

Upon completing their first meditation, mages would form the first wisps of soul power. When their soul power and elemental essence contained within their bodies reaches a certain threshold, they would then reach the first circle as a mage. It is at this stage the power of their soul would develop the foundation of what is commonly referred to as the soul realm.

The soul realm of any life form is fundamental to their very being. One can live on as a soul after death but one cannot live without one's soul even if the physical body still exists. Without a soul, the body becomes nothing more than a husk, a home without an occupant.

Aidan floated within an empty space of darkness within his soul realm, still unconscious from whatever force knocked him out. Outside in the world, his body was being covered by the darkness leaking out from the sarcophagus. Like tentacles from an octopus, the darkness lifted Aidan and brought him into the sarcophagus, the lid closing with a hissing sound.

The walls of the chamber shook, violently so, that the outside world of the forest could feel it. The undead shook, wondering what was going on but with no order from Aidan, they continued with their orders. Meanwhile, Orland, Bea and Narissa grew increasingly uncertain with every moment Aidan did not contact them. It was almost time for Gilford and his group to arrive.

As the shaking of the chamber reached its apex, the lid of the sarcophagus let off a dark light, the eyes of the three headed demon glowing red. As though it were alive, the heads began to turn until it eventually stopped.

Inside the sarcophagus, Aidan continued to sleep within, the darkness permeating every pore of his body. Similar processes to what he did to his undead were happening to him. His muscles, bones, and viscera were being reinforced, changed in ways unheard of. However, his body was the least of his concerns at the moment.

Aidan's spiritual realm was being invaded. Whatever trapped Aidan possessed a spiritual factor to it allowing it to invade his soul. Were Aidan still aware of his situation he would no doubt fight with all he could. However, it pierced his soul with little effort the energy collecting within his soul realm.

The dark mass, darker than even his soul realm began to form an idol several times the size of his awareness within the soul realm. The idol finally took the form of a large mountain, a large demon seated within the face of it in a lotus seated position. Rested above its legs were two open palms supporting the shaft of a large spear. Its face carried a menacing look as though it would lash out at the heavens at any moment.

However, it was not over. From within the idol, a dark red light emanated outward into the spiritual realm. A dark red sun is what would best describe the idol at that moment. The spiritual realm that Aidan had found to be an empty place of darkness was revealed to be something entirely different.

A black world with dark trees and different shades of black making up its leaves stood atop a small hill overlooking a river of darkness. What Aidan found to be emptiness was in truth a world no different from his own only filled with varying degrees of black color. Even the individual blades of grass were a black color.

Aidan's spiritual body floated, hovering in front of the demonic idol now taking up residence within his spiritual realm. As his body rose and hovered in front of the idol, its eyes instantly shot open, a piercing red light focused upon his spiritual body. Opening its mouth, the demon roared with its full might.