26. The Breakup and The Return

October 31st, Sunday. 17 more days to go.

Harry's POV

"Get away from me." I said, pushing Zayn away from the comforting hug he was giving me. He chuckled and patted my hair. "Who's a good boy?" He asked with a grin.

"No. Stop talking." I muttered. I hate it that we were basically nothing. Harry the intelligent friend at his house, Harry from the lacrosse team at school and my boyfriend in front of Gemma. Good thing Zayn remembered my status at every place. "What is it?" He asked while going through his school bag.

"Can we keep our distance if we're not in my house?" I asked. Even though I didn't want that, my brain kept on yelling the name 'Marlo' loud enough to piss me off. "Okay, if you really want that. You can always tell me if I'm bothering you. I am very affectionate, you know?" He said with that stupid smirk of his. I managed to chuckle at that but I was laughing hysterically on the inside. Hysterically laughing and crying.

"Yeah you are pretty affectionate. Can we start now?" I asked him when he put his school bag back near the wall. He sighed before grabbing my shoulders and pulling me closer. "Good thing my parents didn't ruin Halloween completely for me." He said before kissing me lightly.

My mind went blank. Zayn didn't like you like that. Zayn only cared about Marlo. Then why would he keep doing this? I sighed at the feeling and put my hands around his neck. Just when I was about to pull away and yell at him, somebody opened the door.

"Do you guys—" His mother's voice started before we heard a small scream and pulled away hastily. "Mom, knock!" Zayn said with a gasp. His mother was still staring at us with wide eyes. Oh my God. This wasn't happening.

"Zayn, you..." She started as I saw Doniya join her by her side. "Why did you scream?" She asked her. Zayn's mother looked at her for a moment before looking back at Zayn.

"Zayn, were you just kissing Harry?" She asked. I saw Doniya grin widely before chuckling. "Mom, can we talk later about this?" Zayn asked but his mom walked into the room anyway.

"What about Marlo? Are you two not together anymore?" She asked with a small smile. Wow, Zayn's mother didn't like Marlo? That was nice. Very nice.

"Mom, can we just —"

"Are you?"

"No." Zayn said. "I am no longer with her."

Liar.

"Why? Is it because of him?" She asked, looking at me. I just looked at Zayn. Why would you build a fort of lies? Not that I didn't like this one. "A bit." He said with a smile. "But because she was moving to UK and it'll all be complicated for us after then." That seemed true.

"Oh. Okay, I'll leave you two alone then." She said with a smile before leaving the room. When she closed the door, I started laughing. "Well, how many lies would you say?" I asked him. He just looked at me and smiled.

"What lie?" He said. "All I said was true."

"Marlo? Breakup?" I asked. He grabbed his school bag again and pulled out a heavily crumpled letter. I took it and straightened it out.

Marlo.

   I know we've had some bad days recently, but I really need to tell you something. I can't continue with this relationship anymore. We just don't seem to add up no more.

   I love you. I really do. But you have to understand that you going away is only going to make things harder for us. I am so proud that you can make it to Cambridge. You've always been the intelligent one here. I need to concentrate a bit on myself now.

   We've had some amazing years. I'll love you forever for that. But please, understand that I can't do this anymore. I hope you have an amazing senior year and awesome Brit life at Cambridge.

   Thank you. For once and forever.

That's where Zayn's letter ended. But, I saw a different handwriting below the thank you.

   You can't just do this. I hate you. Talk at my party.

Marlo's handwriting. Of course. I handed the letter back to Zayn. "That's why I really wanted to go to the party. I needed to make things clear for once and forever. You know?" He said. I nodded with a small smile. "Yeah but... What now?" I asked.

"Be a good student and graduate with a nice GPA. I need to get into this college or mom will make me work at McDonalds." He said. I managed to laugh at that. "And be your good boyfriend for 17 more days. Then we can continue to be friends." He added.

"Yeah." I said. That was it.

"Harry." He said. "You know that I really do like you. But we are going to different paths. But you listen to me, if I do catch you around. I will make you mine. For real."

"Yeah, yeah. Do your cheesy lines." I said with a chuckle even though I was dying on the inside.

*

Gemma's POV

Something's not right. Two days ago when I was passing by Harry's school, I saw Zayn with a girl. They were laughing and kissing. Was he cheating? But there were people all around them. It was like they knew about them.

Nothing was right. I tried not to think too much about it, but I was going to talk to Harry after he got home from Zayn's. I needed to do that to get this out of my mind. The doorbell rang at that moment. Must be Harry. He was pretty fast.

I opened the door to see two people. The Lady was smiling at me and the man was just staring.

"Gemma." He said. "You're here..."

"Dad." I said. "Come in." He did come in with the woman. Must be his wife. They got seated on the sofa.

"This is Anne, my wife." He introduced the woman who smiled with a nod. I smiled back at her. She was indeed pretty. Long brown hair, green eyes and tan skin. "Nice to meet you." I said, offering a handshake as she took it. "Nice to meet you too, sweetie." She replied.

"Where's Harry?" He asked.

"He's gone to a friend's house. He'll be back soon." I replied. He nodded. Then he asked me about my college and when I'll be going back, Anne asked me a couple of questions too.

"Why did you decide to come into our lives again?" I couldn't help but ask him. He looked at Anne, then back at me. "I got a call from Paula. She told me about Harry not wanting to go to a university. Why? Is it because of the money?" He asked.

"Dad, he wants to go. He's trying to earn a scholarship because mom wouldn't help him like she helped me." I said. "The only family Harry has is me. Mom doesn't care and you weren't there. Mom treats Harry like he's a stranger. I hate that he has both of his parents but still no happiness."

"I am here because I want to help. Anne made me come here to meet him so we could help him out." He said. "I just want a bright future for my boy."

"You should talk to him. He's obviously going to earn like 4.5 GPA, and he's good with his SATs too. All he needs is a little support." I said with a smile. Dad nodded and sighed. "I just want to make sure he stays happy." He said.

"Me too." I muttered and thought about his suspicious relationship with Zayn Malik.

___________________________

So the Dad is back.
And yusss I added Anne because I love her.
So Zayn and Marlo are done. Harry and Zayn are mehhh?
Vote and comment if you liked this chapter!
xxSarah